Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod + Crank Bearings???

HammerDown
    O.K. yes I know its not a jet question but,I'm getting ready to put the lower end back together in my 468, just had to have the crank polished. Anyhow,I was using standerd Federal Mogul bearings and always thought they were fine. But most people (even the shop that polished my crank)are telling me to go with the Clevite 77 tri-metal bearings! The Clevites are 3X the price of the Federal Mogul. Are they really worth it?

HBjet
    Where are you pricing this stuff? I'd look at www.jegs.com (http://www.jegs.com) They have some good pricing for both.
    HBjet

quig
    Hammer as far as I know the Federal bearing has a much harder surface that the Clevite what that will mean to you is if there was any material in the oil it would be "absorbed" by the Clevite bearing surface not doing much crank/main damage(scoring marks) where the harder Federal bearing would promote a harsher enviroment for a contaminated oil because of the harder bearing surface thus directly wearing the crank.
    somebody correct me if I am wrong... quig

spectras only
    Hammer, Federal Mogul,429 BBF,13+ years,still going, nuff said !

wideopen545
    hammer i just put my bbc lower end toghter used clevelight 77 cost a round 65.00 rods and mains call summit or jegs or doug hubbert raceing

wideopen545
    dame i cant srell but i can go fast lololo

wideopen545
    dame i cant spell but i can go fast lololo

HammerDown
    Thanks for the replys...as far as price,I called Summit they quoted me a price of 135.00 for the rods and 65.00 for the mains!!! Apparently there are many different levels of Clevite Bearings. I see in Jeggs they may not offer all the options. But what's to say I need the highest price bearing anyhow. As far as the Federal Mogul,I've used them all along with never a bearing failure. However maybe the Clevites will be a little more friendly to the journal surface. Thanks again for the info.

flat broke
    I have run Clevite 77's in everything we have ever built and never once had a bearing failure (knock on wood). I would have to say that this is one area of the motor where skimping could bite you in the ass big time. If people have had success with Federal Mogul bearings, I'm glad that works for them; but my recomendation based of what I have used would be the Clevite product.
    As far as price if you live in so cal, there is a place called California Discount Warehouse in Alondra or Compton, that has pretty good prices on GM rebuild stuff. Or perhaps you could try PAW in in Chatsworth. Typically speaking you can get bearings etc cheaper if you go with a rebuild kit from one of these shops that includes bearings, rings etc. Just make sure you know what parts you're paying for in the kit.
    Good luck,
    Chris

Costello
    On the Top Alcohol Flat that I am the grunt on, we were pounding the bearings real bad, they were Federal Mogul as I recall. We switched to Childs and Albert,they have kind of a chamferred edge to them, and we have been very easy on bearings since then. While installing them one night, I noticed that the C & A bearings are stamped Clevite 77. I'm not sure if there are any proprietary differences with the C& A vs. standard Clevite 77, but they seem to be a cut above. We changed nothing on the tune up, gear ratio or anything else to be so much easier on bearings other than switching brands.
    [This message has been edited by Costello (edited January 10, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast