Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeller question?

Jetmugg
    Dave:
    I have only seen those type of rapid prototyping setups at foundry exhibitions and the like. I am only marginally familiar with them. I am mostly involved with permanent metal molds for the horizontal centrifugal industry. Additionally, I do some sand-lined permanent metal molds as well, which allows more flexibility.
    Investment casting is a great way to make small-to-medium sized parts in a precision manner. Just look at the golf club industry. They are constantly on the prowl for the latest materials and designs, some of which can only be made by investment casting.
    Steve.

Bitz
    Hey,Jetmugg I love this thread.. been wondering when this would resurface from the old board. We should hook up somebody at legend to try a few of these.

schiada96
    If a casting would hold up why don't you two hook up and make some props for the drag boats. I know that you could hold tighter tollerances than the hand fabbed props available today. I'm no metalurgist just a fabricator that makes all the stuff for the people who supply RD with his sla machines. Would a casting be able to flex or would it break??

jim lee
    I remember when I frist saw an artical about those "grow a 3D solid" machines. -Magic- all I could think.
    What's it cost to get a one-off outta' that there magic machine?
    Can I get something tough enough to use as a positive to make silicon molds from it?
    Can I export some sort of 3-file to have a positive of that file made up?
    Can I export a 3-d file, have you tweeak it a little and get a positive?
    This could be a LOT of fun. After tooling up Banderlog for making the Launch Controllers, I'm all set up to do plastic castings. Making the positives and molds is a lot of work! But if I could have the positives.. grown..
    Neat thread!
    -jim lee
    [This message has been edited by jim lee (edited November 20, 2001).]

RiverDave2
    Jim Lee! LOL it's funny you should mention a possitive for silicone molds.. That's our core business! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif If your in SoCal I'll take you for a tour of our casting facillity that'll blow your mind! They actually have a bunch of Hightech stuff for doing urethanes/epoxy castings. However yes that's what the SLA machines are used for.. If you need one model you use an SLA, if you need more then three we typically do Silicone rubber mold and thermoset castings. That's what alot of the automotive world is switching over too... The old time pattern makers are used very little now days unless the model is huge and it would be to expensive in SLA.
    RD

RiverDave2
    Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT:
    Eric, you owe me a beer! I laughed so hard that I knocked mine off the desk!!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    RD, Aggressor is the Marine Division of Major Brass Foundry,Inc.(MBF,Inc.) so they obviously have access to a foundry, maybe not one that handles stainless steel.
    The impeller idea is a good one, but it would appear someone has beaten you to it. http://www.precisionjetdrive.com/ Haven't heard of any one who uses one, though.
    What the jet pump industry needs is a SERIOUS effort at updating the designs. So far there have only been slight changes to the existing ones. I can't believe that all the design work done on PWC pumps couldn't somehow lead to better pumps for boats.
    Old Squirt, sorry i didn't get back to you today.. I got completely swamped with work right after I got off the phone with you. I'll give you a call friday, are you going to be around?
    RD

ChetCapoli
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by HBjet:
    Today I called Don's Pump Service. Nice guys over there. Anyway, I asked them about aluminum impellers and how much HP can you put to it before you need to step up. They answered as Chet has stated, they used an aluminum one with a 700HP motor. Now, that was in a race boat, with perfect water conditions, and the pump was never un-loaded and then re-loaded. I asked, what about a river boat, like at Parker, or at a lake. I was told aluminum was good up to 500HP, and anything after that it could and would start to crack, etc... I asked what was the next type of impeller I should use, Bronze? I was told, NO, Bronze is no good, use stainless. I was told no one is making Bronze anymore, and the only ones who are is Aggressor. I asked, are the Aggressors good? Again, I was told, they have only heard bad reports about the Bronze Aggressor impeller and wouldn't recommend it. I mentioned that I saw Aggressor offers a Stainless, but it is custom order. They said they have only seen one, and weren't impressed at all with it.
    So there you have it. I called Don's Pump Service Chet, and they told me everything opposite of what you are saying. So please get a F'ing clue and stop mouthing off before you even know what the hell your saying. Example, "Use bronze, there good up to 1500hp" Dude, any good pump builder wouldn't tell you that, I don't think Don's Pump service would like you Yelling there name out and then following up with what works and what doesn't when it is the exact opposite of what they told me.
    I'm not one to go out of my way to prove someone wrong, I think we all can learn for each other, but I just had to see if Chet really knew anything about what he was saying.
    WOW guys, when the farmer is away, the mice will play eh? I work out of town for 3 days and this thread is tripled! The info at the end is the best...amazing how i stimulate INFORMATION! GREAT pics, my wife got mad at me i was laughing so hard. You guys really have too much time on your hands.
    as for my bud HBJET,
    you really are a superslueth arent ya??? i should know better who i'm dealing with must be. I'm not going to be able to answer all these Q's all at once but enjoy your time in the sun ok? Like i said before you have that way of snowballing stuff to make me look bad and all i do is put a different light on things..like recommend bronze. I know now know why is wasnt mentioned....legend doesnt make it. RAH,RAH,RAH! Did you notice on dragboats.com who won the 8 second class at the finals this year and what he was running? Maybe my eyes deceive me so i'll let you tell me.
    BTW, Nice HB copy of my thread..too bad he took the middle road and beat around the bush on it. You can't honestly say that WOULDN'T BE A BAD IDEA. At least i thought enough of it to write ***boat and no one else does. They would rather write about log manifolds and thermostats and the like.
    So who were these shops you called?? Did you call GS marine while you were at it?? You can ask him why so many of those boats he builds have aggressor stuff(bronze) in them.(maybe thats why they are for sale a year later eh?)
    I have two last questions for you if you dont mind... Honestly, Who did you call besides dons pump& what is you honest opinion on how much HP a 502 with a 14-71 blower..let say mild motor... would put out for HP??
    farmer chet
    P.s. you could have at least got a TURKEY pic instead of a donkey..gheez..hurt my feelings. BTW, did you supply the pompoms HB?? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

ChetCapoli
    Originally posted by Eric:
    http://wsphotofews.excite.com/036/cL/qt/Q4/8Z13709.jpg
    [This message has been edited by Eric (edited November 19, 2001).]
    [This message has been edited by Eric (edited November 19, 2001).]
    Now this is a good picture. Says it all!

HBjet
    Chet, I'm going to make this short for you. You said you want to put a light on different things, like bronze. Well you did and everyone disagreed with you, even Don's Pump Service. So instead of saying everyone is a cheerleader and we don't know what were talking about, shut your mouth and deal with being wrong. Ok Aggressor makes a bronze because they don't have the access to a steel foundry to make stainless. Don's pump service said the Aggressor bronze is no good. Now if I remember correctly, you would keep telling us, call Don's and then you will learn something. Your right, I learned your full of shit, and everyone else learned that too. So now your telling me to call GS and see what he says, why? You said it yourself he beats around the bush. To me, he told you everything everyone else already has about what pump is better. But you still think you know the best, because your a do-it-yourselfer guy. Great, do what ever the hell your doing, and I'm going to do what I'm doing. But everyone knows Chet, you are full of shit, and then proof is in this thread. Like I said before, I invite anyone to prove me wrong, make the calls if you have to, I'm done making Chet look like an ass.
    PS. Chet, why don't you call GS and tell us what he says about the Aggressor bronze, and at what HP do you need to use something else other then aluminum.
    HBjet

ChetCapoli
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by HBjet:
    Ok Aggressor makes a bronze because they don't have the access to a steel foundry to make stainless. Don's pump service said the Aggressor bronze is no good. Now if I remember correctly, you would keep telling us, call Don's and then you will learn something.
    So now your telling me to call GS and see what he says, why? You said it yourself he beats around the bush. To me, he told you everything everyone else already has about what pump is better. everyone knows Chet, you are full of shit, and then proof is in this thread. Like I said before, I invite anyone to prove me wrong, make the calls if you have to, I'm done making Chet look like an ass.
    PS. Chet, why don't you call GS and tell us what he says about the Aggressor bronze, and at what HP do you need to use something else other then aluminum.
    Ok hbjet, you win..i'm full of Shit..i'm sorry. IMAGINE THAT!
    I'm going to email dons pump and i'll let you know ok. If my memory serves me correctly though, dons has always been a dominator guy, he has never been an aggressor guy. I called him 2 or so years ago to find some information and that's what he told me, so why would he say something good about something he doesnt sell??? I also recall him saying that dominator is what the racers use.
    Anyways, I told you to ask him about bronze in general remember and i DID NOT say to just call him. (glad you mention though he DID use aluminum with 700hp) Guess i was right on with that assessment. Why not talk to someone who sells all of them and then start slammin eh? BTW, word has it i can get an aggressor SS impeller anytime and even you shop has experience with them.
    As far as GS marine, what do i need to call him for?? i can just look at an old ***boat mag and even on boats that he has built that are for sale and notice he uses aggressor bronze impellers.(even with 1000hp) As you would agree, actions speak louder than words.
    Farmer chet
    P.S. Would you please be nice enough to tell me how much HP you think a mild 502 with a 14-71 blower would make? I wont hold you to it i promise. I'd really appreciate it. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast