Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6V Battery Question

Magic34
    As some of you know, and some disagree with, I am running 6 6V Trojan t-105's in my boat. Attached is a picture before insall was complete. Since this photo, I have added a diamond plate "box" that covers the top and the front side of the batteries. Basically, 1 side of each battery is not covered. That would be the sides and the sides that are exposed are facing the motors. I am using a 3 bank, 30 amp total, fully automatic Minnkota waterproof charger. The boat is stored inside of my 40' Metal garage, fully enclosed, no A/C. I live in AZ (temperate info).
    Now for the issues.........
    After having the batteries 6 months (new in March), I decided to check the level of water in the batteries. I removed the cover (this in August of this year) and could not see standing water. I added distilled water and EACH batter took a full 1 gallon of water to top them off. Actually, just over 6 gallons total.
    This brings us to today.......
    I thought I would check the batteries for the hell of it and see if the water was near the same level. I have NOT used the boat since topping the water off, it has just sat in the garage with the charger hooked up. When I popped the tops of the batteries tonight, could not see water in the batteries so I filled them up. Each battery is taking about 2/3 - 3/4 of a gallon of water.
    Why is it using sooooo much water? Is the diamond plate preventing the batteries to breathe and use more water? Before adding the diamond plate, I never checked the water, but did use the boat and did not add any water. Never had a problem, so never checked until I started having power issues(after diamond plate installed). The power issues were, a lack of it, and the problem ended up being the batteries were dry.
    Why am I going through all this water? I already asked this, but I was expecting to have to check the water level with these batteries 2 times a year, not monthly.
    The batteries have been awesome on power. They last all day, jammin' the stereo, and my stereo draws about a constant 90-100 amps, peaks at about 155-160 amps (based on a meter).
    It may be time to go throw these things back on the golfcourse, but I do like the power they supply. Actually, they can't be beat in reserve power.
    Thanks in advance on any insight someone can give.

BLOWN HOWARD
    Install some 6V Gel batteries instead of the junky trojans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
    Not sure the diamond plate would matter much, unless the cases are grounding. I'd call Trojan and see what they say. Perhaps as an experiment, you could test the diamond plate with a voltmeter (positive terminal) to see if there is a draw.
    As for the water, usually it boils out (evaporates) when they heat up from charging. Since those batteries are vented, I suppose you will get some evaporation with the dry desert air (even without charging)...just not sure how much.
    "Breathing" should have little to do with it, unless the diamond plate is making the batteries retain more heat when charging. More heat = more lost water.
    As an experiment, I'd take them out and set them on a block of wood next time...then measure the water loss.

phebus
    It sounds as if you are overcharging the batteries. I wonder if your charger is working properly, and switching off when the batteries reach a full charge. I would hook a voltmeter up, and see what output (if any) is coming from the charger after the batteries should have reached a full charge.

Havasu Hangin'
    It sounds as if you are overcharging the batteries. I wonder if your charger is working properly, and switching off when the batteries reach a full charge. I would hook a voltmeter up, and see what output (if any) is coming from the charger after the batteries should have reached a full charge.
    I was thinking the same thing. The charger should go into a "maintain" mode to prevent it.
    However, if there is a grounded case, or shorted plate, the charger will keep charging (since they are all tied together in series) since there will always be a drain.

Evo22
    just my .02 ...this is'nt the only time I have heard of them "going thru" water we had a customer that had 4 of them and they definetly it had plenty of reserve. but went thru water like crazy at the begining of last season with no charger on them on the off season same thing happened and had some corision on the terminals( no current draw from the boat) so we yanked em and went with the oddesy's so far to date no problems

Bob Hostetter
    The problem is you are charging the battery's with a 12 volt system.
    People are starting to use the 6 volt battery's because they tend to have a longer discharge rate then the standard 12 volt battery's. BUT they also wire them into a standard 12 volt charging system. This provides to much power to the battery's during the the charging cycle causing to much heat. Battery's (at least non sealed types) boil off the water when they overheat, resulting in them running out of water. If you check the sides of the battery you will probably also notice that they are slightly bowed. This is from the vents being unable to vent the steam from the water boiling quickly enough. In the worst case the case can break or crack from the pressure causing all sorts of problems, including the acid leaking all over the inside of your boat.
    Be carefull about how completely you seal the battery's inside a container. When the battery's are being charged they produce hydrogen gas which is vented with the steam. Trapped hydrogen gas, especially when exposed to heat, sparks, etc, can cause its own special problems.............

ROZ
    Bob, his 6v are totally seperate for the stereo only, and are not being charge by anything but the external charger....
    Mike, call your local country club and ask the cart maintenance staff if they go through an unsually high amount of water for the batteries...

phebus
    Bob, two 6V's wired in series gives you a 12V system, right? Wouldn't you then use a 12V charging system? My golf cart uses a 36V cahrger to charge the 6V batteries for it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks, Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast