Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need a little help with ID theft prob

dicudmore
    somebody created an SBC telephone account in my name and social, to an address I've never lived at. Knew nothing of it until it went to collections, now some collection agency is calling me wanting to collect on something I don't owe...What do I do?

ULTRA28
    somebody created an SBC telephone account in my name and social, to an address I've never lived at. Knew nothing of it until it went to collections, now some collection agency is calling me wanting to collect on something I don't owe...What do I do?
    Pay the bill so they don't turn my phone off.

Phat Matt
    Nice!
    I would expect nothing less from here.

LHC30Victory
    Make a Police report to your local agency - they are required to take the report per 530.6PC (in Cal) so dont let them give ya any crap about that.
    Then, take that report number and make a fraud notice to all three credit bureaus......
    Tell the collections agency that you have done this, that the bill was a fraud account and if they call you again, you will collect damages for them violating the law.

dicudmore
    Make a Police report to your local agency - they are required to take the report per 530.6PC (in Cal) so dont let them give ya any crap about that.
    Then, take that report number and make a fraud notice to all three credit bureaus......
    Tell the collections agency that you have done this, that the bill was a fraud account and if they call you again, you will collect damages for them violating the law.
    what if I am in either NV or AZ and the account was in CA?
    will they still take the report for me?

thesunking
    Hey dude,
    Try this link, it helped us out a lot. http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/con_file.htm#victim
    We got burned last year during Veterans Day Weekend. Applied for credit at Best Buy and somehow our ID's ended up in the "black market" business. I can't prove it was BB (their store clerk who ran our credit app). Anyway, these thugs are paying top dollar to high school, college students working part time at retail stores that have access to your information and are exchanging for cash in the parking lot.
    Shoot me a PM and I'll I give you more details on how it works. We went through HELL for a month receiving credit cards with maxed out accounts on same day credit given at retail stores. Shiat, I even got a Verizon wireless statement with two active lines and with most calls being made to Southern Arizona.
    It gets better, I have a Sams Credit Card with the picture of the guy on the back who opened a account in Carson and maxed it out for 5 grand in one day.
    As long as the person has the following, they can create a fake ID:
    Full Name
    Address
    Social Security number and apply for credit with your name at any given retail outlet
    What worked in our favor with the paper trail is that they didn't have our correct DOB's and Drivers License numbers.
    Local Law Enforcement only took down a report and did not act on any leads. I'll give you one example, after we placed fraud alerts, I got a phone call from Radio Shack in Corona verifying that I was applying for credit and I said NO, that was not me. After hanging up I got Corona PD on the phone and dispatch would not even roll on the call? GO FIGURE!

dicudmore
    shiat if I knew it was yours I'd have just paid it in the first place

Mohave Vice
    Dan,
    Call me. You have my number.
    Steve

dicudmore
    Dan,
    Call me. You have my number.
    Steve
    I will...I'm at work for another hour

MagicMtnDan
    Simple, just open an SBC account in that guy's name and run up his bill!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast