Thread: What drive for the 572 crate engine

RUCAV
    I saw an article in a boating magazine talking about the mercury drives. The article listed them by Horsepower. According to the article, none of their drives can handle the 620 HP or 720 HP the Chevy 572 puts out. Is this true, and if so, who else makes a good drive?
    Thanks for your help.

canuck1
    American Turbine

Thunderbutt
    I hope someone answers that question soon, because I'm geting ready to buy a Bravo 1 XR for the 620

Craig
    If I had to start fresh and had the cash, I'd look at one of the Max Machine Bravo's, someone on the site is selling one with a shorty lower as a matter of fact, don't recall who

5th Horseman
    I saw an article in a boating magazine talking about the mercury drives. The article listed them by Horsepower. According to the article, none of their drives can handle the 620 HP or 720 HP the Chevy 572 puts out. Is this true, and if so, who else makes a good drive?
    Thanks for your help.
    A jet drive would work, as would a v-drive
    Mercury does have the "6" drive that should be good to 1000 HP and I believe they still offer the "5" Speedmaster that should be good to 800 or so? They are both very expensive.
    You could take your chances with a Bravo derivative, or...
    The Arneson drive will handle whatever power you might come up with.
    Paul

BADBLOWN572
    As craig said, I would look into the Max Machine bravo 1 outdrive. The Imco SC drive should easily be able to handle the power, but I have also heard of quite a few problems resulting from Imco's customer service. If you do a search, I am sure you will find some of the threads. I know that Charley and Whipped565 both have had problems with Imco's warranty policy in the past.
    I personally have never used either of the drives I mentioned above, but I also do know some people who are using the Max Machine drive with 1k h.p. and so far no problems. The Imco's have been used by Eliminator on some of the new GM crate motors and I have heard that they have had no problems as of this point in time. Both drives, SHOULD be able to handle the power of both motors without a problem, but drives are always the weak link in any high performance application. Good Luck!

RUCAV
    A jet drive would work, as would a v-drive
    Mercury does have the "6" drive that should be good to 1000 HP and I believe they still offer the "5" Speedmaster that should be good to 800 or so? They are both very expensive.
    You could take your chances with a Bravo derivative, or...
    The Arneson drive will handle whatever power you might come up with.
    Paul
    Any idea how these drive's compare price wise with the standard Bravo 1 drive. Just curious.
    Thanks for all your info.

5th Horseman
    Any idea how these drive's compare price wise with the standard Bravo 1 drive. Just curious.
    Thanks for all your info.
    As it turns out, the 4 drive is no longer available, but the 3A is, I'd GUESS around $30K for it. A new 6 drive is going to run you between $50k and $75k (ANOTHER GUESS) depending on options. Merc stuff is expensive, no competition does that for ya.
    Arneson has the bravo replacement kit for $16k that replaces the bravo drive with an Arneson, includes standoff box so you won't have to move the engine forward to accomodate the trans. Props are going to cost more, and the hull has to have sufficient bow lift on it's own in order to perform well with the Arneson. Check them out here
    http://www.arneson-industries.com/br...conversion.htm
    Paul