Thread: Back flowing cooling water?

WriedtStuff
    I was wondering if I could connect to my overboard water line and back feed water thru the motor and out thru the jet drive. That way I could make a connection to allow me to run the engine on the trailer with a water hose.
    I think it will work but not sure how the header T-Valve will work in reverse.

sidewound
    I won't run my jet on the trailer at all. I spent good time and money rebuilding it and don't want to do it again. I don't think there is any safe way to run it on the trailer unless you disconnect the driveline. Just my.02
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

cruser
    If you have a thermostat, t-valve, split the pump output in any way for block protection or pressure bypass, I think you will have trouble.
    Oh yeah, forgot to include the problems with running the pump out of the water.

MudPumper
    The boat has to be IN the water for it to be properly lubricated. The hose is a bad idea. For example, the hose will not get water up into the packing gland.

WriedtStuff
    I have no thermostat....there is a t-valve for the headers.....
    I do not plan on running it for very long....just long enough to set the timing and adjust the carb.

oldbuck40
    I do not plan on running it for very long....just long enough to set the timing and adjust the carb.just disconect the the water feed line from the pump to the engine hook up the hose and get it done. do you think that a dealer will take your boat to the ramp everytime he needs to start it and check something. the above guys are right on the pump though just dont sit in the boat after you set all that stuff and drink a 12 pack listening to the engine...just a minute or two and you should be fine.have all the nessassary tools ready when you crank er up and dont forget to turn on the water!!!

HammerDown
    I do not plan on running it for very long....just long enough to set the timing and adjust the carb.
    For years I've run my engine on the hose to do just what you listed...NEVER had ANY issues doing so. True some types of packing need water (my GFO packing requires virtually none), so spray some WD-40 on it for the few seconds to check the timming etc. i know some that for the few seconds of run time they just stick a hose in the back end of the pump...personaly I have a T in the inlet from the pump to the engine and feed water that way. I also have 1/4" ball valves at each header spider line, they get shut off when trailer testing...I turn the water on *easy*, fill the block till water exits the 2 dump lines and then open the gate valve at the pump so some water pours out the rear of the pump. Fire in the hole. *(you may not be plumbed to do it like this)*
    PS. don't go throttle happy for several minutes etc. But I run it for a few, bring the r's up to 3000 to check/set the timming and off to the river I go.