Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Optima batteries???

DickDanger
    Need some opinions here. I was thinking about purchasing an Optima battery, but I am wondering if they are worth the $$$ or not. A $150+ is some serious coin to spend on a battery that isnt worth it. Thanks. -Dick Danger out

1quickjet
    DD, the best investment I've made for my boat. They are definitely worth the $$. I've owned many since they came out. Two in the boat, and one or two in every vehicle at my house. Never a problem. You can get them for much less than $150 (red tops). All of mine came from Riverside/Corona area too. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

RiverToysJas
    I have two in my boat and love them both! They can sit for huge amounts of time and still crank it right over. If they crack or tip, they won't leak any acid.
    I use RED automotive 700amp (I think). They are about $120. the Yellow are more but I've never used them.
    RTJas.

DickDanger
    I thought that you were supposed to use the blue one for marine use, or is that just bs??? I have a 454 BBC, so will a red top work???

1quickjet
    Yes, the red ones are fine. I believe the blue ones are deep cycle. Not necessary. But I don't know if the blue ones are worth the extra $$.

RiverToysJas
    Red works great. I thought Yellow was "Marine" but I cannot remember for sure. Marine in the battery would means the core won't break down from heavy pounding and bouncing. I've always just used the auto batteries w/o problem. Maybe Off-shore boats that get massive air need something more, but for my river rocket the auto batt has been fine.

RiverToysJas
    OOPS
    [This message has been edited by RiverToysJas (edited December 13, 2001).]

spectras only
    DD, get the red top[starter battery]for lakeboating,get the bluetop[deepcycle]when you're ready to trade up for a deepwater barge.The Optimas suppose to hold charge for up to two years in storage.I have one in my 429 BBF equipped boat [was tough to start when hot]and it starts every time hot or cold.The only battery that performs better is a forklift battery [had one before],but weighs twice as much!

fryzll
    DD, I have the Exide Orbitals which uses the same basic technology as the Optima and they work great. I use the red top for the start battery and the blue top deep cycle for the stereo only because of the longer reserve time. If you check around you might get a better deal on the Exide as opposed to the Optima but they are both great battery's and well worth the extra $$$$$$$ I paid jobber for mine through work and I think I paid $95.00 for the red and $120.00 for the blue about 9 months ago. Another thing alot of people dont know about is blems. These battery's are sold at BIG discounts only because they have some kind of visual defect. Golf cart battery's sell for around $65.00 each but I bought blems (6 of them) for $30.00 each. Any big battery shop should have blems but you have to ask, they wont tell you if you dont ask. You might be able to find some Optimas or Exides this way, it cant hurt to try http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Hope that helps.
    Chris

DEL51
    I read that the exide battery is either produced by optima or they have an exclusive agreement to produce them.Maybe the reason for price difference is mass production reduces cost.I would assume that under this deal their quality would be identical.I have used a red top since 1997 and it works fine.I give it a full charge before removing it for the winter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast