Thread: engine builders.

turbo
    have any of you guy's heard of grant piston rings.I purchased a stroker kit from a company called speed o motive and they sent me a set of these rings, does this company make performance ring sets. or are these things garbage.me and speed o motive are not comunicating very well . cause they sent me the wrong set. sent 30 over instead of 20 over. I filed 2 of them down before I noticed the mistake. they said it's my fault no exchange or refund. the original set were speed pro economy racing? cast iron rings.

Grant's has been in business for many decades. Put a set in an old British sports car in the early seventies. They were the only company that even had a listing.

spectras only
    wonder if Barry Grant has anything to do with ?

Racing Ray
    Barry is not associated with them. Grant has been around a long time. I would use them.

Heatseeker
    I've never heard anything bad about grant rings. I was told that the hot set-up now are 'total seal' rings.
    Speed-o-motive caution:
    My cousin recently bought a complete engine from speed-o-motive(merlin 540 dartII heads with all the bells and whistles). Every time he runs it, he gets a fair amount of metal in the oil. I later read a post in the blower motor section(see blown 468 rod bearing) by aguy with the same problem. Turns out speed-o-motive has teir cranks and rods forged in china. Beware!!!

jroos
    Budget allowing I`d opt for the total seal rings or zero gap. You can find them in Summit. I run them in a 350. And metal made in China, don`t use it. So far that`s the only thing that no one else can do better or cheaper than the USA. We have the best steel in the world.

turbo
    Heatseeker tell your friend to check the bottom end on that bb. I ordered a stroker kit my friend ordered a complete short block from them. when I set my crank in the block the #1 main bearing supply hole to the #1 connecting rod is covered up comletely by the bearing, the supply hole has about 2 thousandths exposed. so when his short block arrives we remove #1 on his it's the same screw up like mine so they say they have never had a problem yea right. I figured out the fix thought. a chrysler slant six has the same bearing dimensions 1/2 thousandths bigger and 1/4 inch wider to cover up oil hole. I will gamble with mine, my friend put a stop payment on his. visa is sending out an investigator. he is trying to deal with them they don't want to. sorry for long post.

Heatseeker
    Turbo,
    Thanks for the info. We are pulling the engine out of the hydro on Monday and can't wait to open it up. You would think when a guy pops $12k for a complete engine, he could depend on the quality of the workmanship!
    Speed-o-motive has been in business since '47. You wouldn't think they would last that long making stupid mistakes such as this.
    Thanks again,
    John