Thread: 1979 GMC CobraJet Medallion Tachometer

Teshio
    Got a friend that has subject tach flaking out. Does anyone know of a good repair shop for this item? Or one for sale? Number on back of it is 573/20. Blue tick marks every 500 RPM and white marks every 100 RPM. Medallion logo is blue. He wants to keep his CobraJet stock. Thank you.

spectras only
    The problem is,Medallion is going out of buisness, I've heard.I hope it's only a rumour.

ODDD1
    Teshio,tell him to get boat on water....pullout tach...drop in lake.if it sinks..is junk..if it floats tell him hit it with a paddle! then will sink. honestly, madallion no the best hardware,he might find NOS stuff but I wouldnt waste money on it. just my 2 cents.

Teshio
    Wow! Sounds like you had a bad experience. What tach would you recommend as a replacement? Thank you both for the feedback!

spectras only
    Faria makes instruments for the military, but their regular boatstuff looks mediocre and probably not the best.Bayliners and other makers use them [???].Stewart Warner used to be good ,but they seem lower quality nowdays [plastic bodied].Gaffrigs and VDO are good if you don't mind the price.

Cas42
    Not sure about the availability of the Medallion but whatever your friend does, make sure it's a good tach. Back in the 80's we were up having a fun weekend on the CA Delta. Saturday afternoon, the motor on my boat decided to quit running every time it hit 3000 rpm's. After spending a couple of hours looking for the problem, I finally found it. It turned out to be a tiny little nut that came lose. Every time the needle would hit 3000, it would hit this little nut and cause a direct short.

Slow Boat 001
    We use a Sport-Comp by Auto Meter Thay are about $175. but if you look in www.summitracing.com (http://www.summitracing.com) you can find them for less.

ICCSF108
    Are there any old Medallion tach catologs out there on the AT-5001, 9000 RPM
    MEDALLION TACHS??
    Anyone have any info on these tachs, like what they were used on??
    Where or who does repairs on them?
    Can NOS replacement ones be found?
    Thanks
    Ken

I beleive I saw that Jim Brock has a Medallion set for sale in the spam section