Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo jetboat

buddy
    I have purchased a southwind minidaycruiser with a twin turbo 454 and berkeley jg jet. It has a place diverter, however the diverter doesnot move down far enough to make it easy to ski behind(plane at a low speed) and does not go up high enough to show off a cool rooster tail. Is there a way to increase the travel of the diverter? It seams like there is clearance to move down a little, and up a whole lot. One more question: Will saltwater have an adverse effect on the turbochargers? the previous owner said that saltwater would boil in the cooling lines, restrict water flow, and fry the turbo bearings. I'm not sure that I believe him though.(He claimed that this engine dyno'ed at 1300hp. The boat is fast, but such a number seems suite high.)Any info would be helpful.

klattu
    I can help with water question...
    Salt water has a higher boiling point than fresh water....he may be thinking that higher elevations (fresh water lakes vs sea level) have different boiling points.
    And the 1300hp....that is possable for a blown BB...but dang...life would be short I think. Does it have an intercooler?

dropkeel
    I hate to answer a question with a question but could you tell us more about you're engine?
    To the divereter question, do you have a droop snoot on it? That could allow for not beeing able to bring the roost down enough.

flipper
    sounds like your full of it on the bb

buddy
    Thank you for the responses. To answer more about the engine, here are the things I know:
    *Twin PFM Turbos
    *Intercooler
    *ported merlin heads
    *Roller rockers
    *Holley carb(no choke)
    *Accel plug wires
    *dual 4inch exaust(straight thru from turbos)
    Other than that the only other thing I know is that it was built by a guy named mike Kuhl. It does not have any kind of thermostat and water temp remains under 120F under normal cruising. It has all braided stainless steel lines with those cool AN fittings. The exaust manifolds are water jacketed, and water is injected into the ehaust after the turbos.

klattu
    You do have a 'Kick Ass' engine.
    Going with those parts anyone that could bolt those together would be able to get 800hp...easy...I would not even brag to the number 1300, just let them see engine compartment, it will be impressive to anyone that knows what they are looking at.
    The main problem with salt water..other than corrosion...is particals in it...they can clog passage ways, so you need very good filters...and I bet you already have them...so go show the guys at the beach what you can do.
    Kuhl....you are sand baggin us right?You know what you have and are just braggin http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

spectras only
    Klattu, you probably right,Buddy's first name is Mike [Khool eh?]

spectras only
    What ever happened with Mike Kuhl? Haven't seen his engines since the eighties.

superdave013
    Mike is still around. He no longer builds engines but makes superchargers and a ton of other stuff. I know jet guys don't need it but he makes a very slick water pump that has the flange and bolt pattren of a fuel injector pump. You can take of the cover and bolt the injector pump right to the end of it. His shop is in Santa Anna, CA and his number is in the book.
    The bummer about salt water in the PFM turbo set-up is the corrosion in the alum. water jackets.

spectras only
    Hi Buddy, is your engine set up is a "California River Rat"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast