Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drag boat racing

Dimarco Kid
    Here goes,
    Red wire: connect to 12 volt side of ballast resistor (which I would get and use)
    Green: easy, - coil
    Brown: Ground
    By the way, I shouldn't dish on Mal's. My own fault for the breakage. Just left a bad taste in my mouth, know what I mean? No, I'm not AOL, you can e-mail me if you want, I think it's here under my profile. If not, I'll give it to you. Also, go to Mr Gasket.com, click on Mallory, and you can download a complete instruction sheet. That might help.
    Dimarco Kid

Boater Bill
    Mellow, the Unilite should be fine, especially since it is free. If you are running a Chevy you need the ballast resistor. Did you get the mating harness also? If not you'll need to rig something up or buy one. Suggest you upgrade your coil also. If your running a stock or mildly warmed over motor running it without a spark box will be ok. Adding a spark box does make a difference though, just depends on your application. Most don't like the unit 'cause it steps down the voltage to the coil (ballast resistor). Putting a spark box on allows a full 12V to the coil and Mallory supplies a "plug" that allows you to bypass the spark box and limp back if box goes bad. Take Dimarco's advice and check out the web pages. Also, ALWAYS disconnect the dist from power when doing anything electrical, that includes charging the battery or even just removing a batt cable. Unlites are sensitive to electrical spikes and you'll blow the module in a heart beat.

superdave013
    MellowYelloW,
    The NJBA would be a great place for you to race your boat. Better than IHBA IMOP. Entry fees are less and it's more laid back. Lake Ming is just outside of Bakersfield and is one of the best spots for racing. As far as safty gear, you will need a kill switch that is hooked to you, a Snell approved helmet, A lifeline type of jacket with a current cert. (find someone to lone you one), long pants & lace up shoes. You will also need a rope deflector on you engine to keep the holding rope from snagging it. A return spring on the carb (you have that anyway right). They like to see a zip tie around the throttle cable clamp too. That's about it for a typ. river boat. It's a lot of fun and you will find out what your boat runs and can make adjustments to go faster. Meet some good people and learn some new tricks about your boat. As you can tell I miss racing at the NJBA.

MellowYelloW
    Okay...what if i need a jump start or something...are they really that sensitive?
    is the MSD the same way..i currently have a ballast resistor with my stock points dist. but when i disconect it, nothing changes..why is that?
    thanks
    brian....oh yeah super dave..thanks for all the safety info!!!

Brian, I have abused the heck out of my Unilite and it has never given any trouble at all. Jump starts, battery charges, all of it. Everything but beat it with a hammer!
    With your points distributor, removing or bypassing the ballast resistor won't have any noticeable effect at first. You will, however, shorten the life of your points. Make sure you use the ballast recommended by Mallory, it will have a different resistance than the one you already have.
    Craig

Jungle Boy
    Buy the aluminum boat and power it up. Get out on the rivers and enjoy the views that only a few can see. I've been river boating for years and it great. What kind of boat is it that you are looking at? Jetboat racing (river) is kind of expensive to get into, depending the class you get into. Check out www.jetboatracing.com (http://www.jetboatracing.com) for some contacts and cool pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12