Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roz Need Help On Mid Speakersand Amps

ROZ
    this is very confusing, i dont know what sounds good in a deck boat, so i know i have aways liked jl audio bass speakers and prefer to use those for bass,as for a ported box i want loud tight bass i dont care about my bass traveling so everbody in other boats can hear me.im trying to find a speaker that will not blow or heat up if played loud for a long time (more rms)but will sound good in a deck boat.i want to run coaxle not separates.i dont want the small tweeter look,so that limits me to what speaker will have a coaxle speaker that has a high rms that will work good in a deck boat.as for amps for the coaxles that depends on what speakers will work.i just need lots of power because i like my music loud.i just figure find the speakers and then the amp will follow.i have been looking at focal 165 vc polyglass speakers for my mids, and a amp called mmats to run the bass,and a audio control digital crossover,with digital capasitors.
    The premium series Quart PCE216 and Refrence series RCE216 can be run as either a seperate or a component. Same goes for the Boston Z series and Pros... These 4 speakers have a higher power handling capabilities than the 165cv's, but it really depends on how much power you want to push...
    Which MMatts are you looking at? noisy but have balls and most are stable to less than an ohm... Made to be REALLY loud... SAme goes for their subs... I've thought of 1 Juggernaut 15 with one of the old 1000 watt amps would spoil some of the comp out there, but they're not really built for SQ. The Dreadnaut 12 and a D1500 is something to consider, but are probably not as nice sounding as a JL or DD...
    Another sub to look at is Adire Audio Brahama... Great sub.
    Disguard the idea of using the cap in a boat. The less resistance the better.. Invest that money in your charging system... If you then have a voltage problem, look toward using a cap. So far TOBTEK is the only person I know of who has needed a Cap to keep his system going... The others only use it to help filter the incommming current...(on a scope the line is smoother) You probably wouldn't notice the difference, though...

BADASS38CHEVY
    thanks roz, so with running the w7s which amps would you run with those subs?and out of the mids that you recommended what would you use? and with what amps?

mbrown2
    thanks roz, so with running the w7s which amps would you run with those subs?and out of the mids that you recommended what would you use? and with what amps?
    I would either run the MB Quart Premium 6 1/2 set up as coax's...or the Pierced 7inch's...the MB Quart are a little clearer...the Pierced have better mid bass...as for power, either JL Audio Amps, Diamond Audio and Phoenix Gold...I am running PG Xenon 200x4 to 3 sets of Seperates in a 23 boat, 110 x 8 in a 26 boat....In a deck boat, I am figuring their might be 6 sets of mid's/high's so I would at least run 75 to 100 x 12, but some may think you don't need that kind of power....I would rather run loud and not get hot, then heat up one amp trying to get volume....
    On the W7's, I would run either JL Audio 1000 x 1 per W7 or PG 1200 x 1....either amp is going to drive that speaker fine....Also, I would listen to the W6's before you go W7's....you can get away with less power, less enclosure and more realistic sounding bass....

BADASS38CHEVY
    i heard the w6s a couple of days ago,the were pretty good but i havent heard the w7s yet i figure the w7s would sound better than the w6s the w6s didnt hit as hard as i thought they would.i was told that the jl amps arent as good as there bass speakers .so the pgs are a good amp ?do the have cooling fans ? what size pg would i use ? 2 of the pg 1200s for 2 w7s? the w7s are 750 rms.

mbrown2
    i heard the w6s a couple of days ago,the were pretty good but i havent heard the w7s yet i figure the w7s would sound better than the w6s the w6s didnt hit as hard as i thought they would.i was told that the jl amps arent as good as there bass speakers .so the pgs are a good amp ?do the have cooling fans ? what size pg would i use ? 2 of the pg 1200s for 2 w7s? the w7s are 750 rms.
    PG's, yes, they have internal cooling fans...I am wondering what kind of enclosure you heard the w6's? I have one in a slot loaded enclosure and it hit hits with just 600x1 to it...
    I would disagree on the negative stuff on the JL Amps...they hit really well in every boat I have heard them in that were installed and tuned properly..
    For the PG setup, I would run 1 1200x1 to 1 W7...meaning 2400watts to 2 W7 12"s...
    If you want to see the Pierced Mid Setup...go to this thread and and look at the DCB at the bottom of the thread...Also, you can see the PG Amps on page 2 of it..
    Install Pics (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...9&page=1&pp=25)

Havasu Hangin'
    I think the misconception on the JL amps is because it is a regulated power supply, they have the same output from 1.5 to 4 ohms. No cheating.
    I can remember the old days when you bought an amp that said 75 watts on it, put a 1/2 ohm load behind it, and watch the magic happen. They hit pretty hard for a 75 watt amp... :supp:

BADASS38CHEVY
    is it true that jl audio is made in china now?

ROZ
    is it true that jl audio is made in china now?
    The Evolution speakers( door speakers) other than the VR series are assembled in China. The VR series are assembled in Taiwan.
    The Amplifiers are assembled in Taiwan or Korea.
    ALL of their Subwoofers are Made in The USA.
    There ya have it
    Incidentally, MB Quart will be assembled in China pretty soon...

phebus
    Hey Roz, what do you think of the MB Quart Nautic 6x9's vs. the Eclipse 4 way 6x9's? Looking for some new 6x9's, and trying to make a choice. Other options?

ROZ
    The frequency response of the MB's is a little broader and I think sound pretty good for marine, but the Eclipse may have a smoother sound at higher volume. I'd listen to both if I were you... Maybe Bill's store has both on hand...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast