Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stability questions in a 25 daytona

pleasantcat
    ok guy's in my quest for speed i encountered something i never felt in my cat. it feels like chine walk. i didnt think a cat would do this but as i run to 114mph it starts to dance from side to side and that's where i back out.i tried trimming her in but that doesnt help and a spectator said it looked as if it were ready to take flight. i have the 25 daytona 2step bottom with a high "x" (gimbal on the rub rail and 2" shorty imco lower) prop that gets me there is a 31 herring 5blade. i'm going out to try a 30 to see if there's less lift and it goes faster. with the bravo 32 prop i get 112mph solid on the water. i try a 34 and it wont hold the water during planeing. any ideas???

Havasu Hangin'
    I'm an idiot (so consider the source)...but maybe that 5 blade is lifting the stern too much? Maybe that's why trim doesn't help, and the 4 blade is planted?

pleasantcat
    that's what i was thinking. but they say with testing they can eliminate it. sucks that the 34 blows out trying to get up :burningm:

Havasu Hangin'
    that's what i was thinking. but they say with testing they can eliminate it. sucks that the 34 blows out trying to get up :burningm:
    You know...when I was at GT, I was talking to a guy who had the same problem. He solved it by installing a bigger cavitation plate on the drive (where the drive shower pickup bolts to). I think IMCO makes them.
    He said that it kept the prop from sucking air coming out of the hole. It's just a piece of polished stainless plating (gotta be cheaper than a prop).
    Just a thought.

pleasantcat
    already on there my x may be too high.

Havasu Hangin'
    already on there my x may be too high.
    Maybe it's time to try some spacers...

Craig
    Hey dum bass, I thought those were Hydromotive props you and Charlie were dropping the big green on
    As for the stability issue I talked to a few engineers here at work and they all agreed with me, problem is the loose nut behind the wheel :hammer2: Just kiddin', but do be careful, don't want to see you break your a** before the parade of lights day :wink:

My 24' dose the same thing but mine is a trim thing if nI trim down it stops, but it also slows down. I don't know if is the trim or the speed? But mine only runs bouy 105.

And I'm runing a 32pitch 4 blade Bravo :shift:

WETTE VETTE
    I have heard of guys making the bolt-on cavitation plate a little larger on the IMCO shorties. This has been done to help in planing for certain props. Rod at Performance Marine in Oshkosh WI. has done this and claims it has no negative effects and helps the boat get on plane. This may be worth a try for your 34 Bravo. My WPM feels different with the 5-blades as well. Not scary, but definately different. So far I like Bravo props better, but I still have some more playing to do with the 5-blades before I give up on them.
    Craig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast