Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Suggestions?

BeaverJ
    Heres my set up........whippled 500efi...the previous owner ran Royal Purple. But I can't remember the weight....I'm looking for any suggestions as to other brands and weights....Thanks

victorfb
    been having very good luck with Amzoil. im useing the 20/50 but with the tighter clearances of todays motors you may want to check if a 10/40 is better for your set up.

LakesOnly
    I run Amsoil 20W/50 with two of their tall filters. They are rated at 7 microns:
    http://a0.cpimg.com/image/40/F1/4144...-01870200-.jpg
    I broke the motor in with petroleum base motor oil and two Fram Tough Guards. :yuk: Then I switched to the synthetic and two new Fram Tough Guards. Then I switched to the Amsoil Filters and my oil pressure went up 10 psi.
    Another point is that the oil pressure drop that I witnessed with the temp increase of the petroleum based oil was reduced by maybe 80% when I switched to the synthetic.
    I've run the Amsoil & filter in an old 429 Ford wagon. Once changed over, I never changed the oil again for tens of thousands of miles (but I was adding a quart every so often, thanks to my leadfoot ). No problems.
    I ran a 1970's Datsun from 1,800 break-in to 83,000 miles with oil/filter changes at every 15,000 miles. I beat the living you-know-what out of that engine, pisswinding it and banging gears, etc. Took it apart for the hell of it and found no visible signs of wear anywhere.
    LO
    p.s. why are you looking to switch from Royal Purple? Never heard anything bad about it....

BeaverJ
    not really looking to switch,,just see if there is anything better out there......Thanks Jason

LHC30Victory
    Hey Beaver try this thread from Offshore Only .com. This guy must have no life cause he has disected oils and filters to the Nth degree. Its a long post now but I think you will find all of your answers here.
    http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=83930
    Ted

BeaverJ
    Theres some good info in that thread,,,sounds like Mobil is the one............Thanks.......

LakesOnly
    Theres some good info in that thread,,,sounds like Mobil is the one............Thanks.......
    Mobil 1 15W/50 At Walmart: 5-Quart Jug for $20 bucks...
    LO

steelcomp
    I'll ditto the 15-50 Mobil One. Saved more than one motor because of it.
    If you're not into synthetics, then there's nothing better than Valvoline Racing. I've used that for 25 yrs and just recently (with reluctance) changed to Mobil One. The most respected engine builders I know will tell you there's really not an arguable difference between the two. More a matter of preference. Never lost a motor with the Valvoline, haven't lost one with the Mobil One.

texas-19
    Anybody running a hyd roller cam with a synthetic oil?I read that that was a bad idea because their was not enough spring pressure to keep the roller lifter turning with synthetic.

LHC30Victory
    Anybody running a hyd roller cam with a synthetic oil?I read that that was a bad idea because their was not enough spring pressure to keep the roller lifter turning with synthetic.
    I think that issue was also covered in the offshore post. It turns out that Mobil 1 has enough sticky stuff to not bother roller lifters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast