Thread: Need help with V drive questions

Kevin Boyntin
    I have been reading on the boards for a long time but never joined so here I go. I have a Mako flatty that I am putting together but it is missing some pieces. Where can I get a throttle peddle and cable and who makes them? I want the one that had the holes in it and it was real big.
    Second, who has a v drive for sale? I want a Casale but a menkens would do too.
    The motor that is going in it is a blown 496 on Alcohol. It has a 8-71 and Pro 1 heads.
    How fast can I expect this boat to run? Thanks for the help.
    Kevin

Fiat48
    This time of year there is a lot of that stuff for sale on the boards. Rexone sells that stuff also. He has an online catalog.
    There was couple of V drives in the used thread also if they are still there.
    Blown alcohol 496 with an 8/71 and speed? Depends on the boat, tuneup and how well it is set up.
    I'll put it to you like this. More power than they will let you legally run in an open boat. 120's anyway.

Kevin Boyntin
    Thanks for the help Fiat48. I am hoping to get the boat to run at least 130mph. The motor is real stout. Can you give me an idea of what gears to start out with. I was thinking 52 gears. I found out what kind of throttle peddle I need it is a trimetric(sp)? I have a Stellings propeller that is a little rusty but it should clean up.

Fiat48
    Trimetric doesn't make that stuff anymore. You might find something used. Gearing would be about 32's to 37's. Again depends on the tuneup and the motor. The Stellings prop is quite outdated and you'll probably want a 11 1/4 x 16..something of that nature. Not sure who's making props anymore. Kindsvater, Ron Grose and I think Menkins is back in the prop buisness. Any pictures or history on the boat? Someone here might recognize it.

Sanger D
    Harold kindsvater IS in business and has more knowledge in boats than just about anyone.call him and tell him your specs and LISTEN and DO what the man says..His knowledge can be very trusted.You willhere a million diff. ideas and reasons for stuff from everyone so call a old school boy and listen to them; you cannot beat harolds experiance in the boat world.These guys know all thetricks of the trade and they know how to make it safe and dependable, sodont ask too many people the same questions you will get too many diff. answers. and dont make too many changes on your boat all at once,try a little at a time.Hope this helps, so give him a call . he,s allways more than happy to help,"real nice guy". 559 299 2328.

scottys
    Jim Andersen knows exactley how fast your boat will run.Last I heard he was in a mexican catering buisness.

syndicate
    Jetboatguru is a pretty sharp cookie when it comes to flatties. Tell him THE DUDE sent ya. :wink: