Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do's and Don'ts for a 455 Olds?

Knucklehead
    I am going to be rebuilding my 455 , any advice to make it better?(besides installing A ford or chevy)
    It had Kieth Black pistons I was told they have been know to cause detenation problems, anyone else hear that
    Anyone know of a great cam to go with a tunnel ram and single 850 holley.
    Any oil system advice, because thats the reason for the rebuild

Wicked Performance Boats
    When a jetpump goes out it sounds like" rattle rattle bang bang clunk clunk." When an engine freezes up it sounds like" knock knock knock------silence." Keep the single 4 barrel tunnelram after you rebuild the frozen motor and you'll be rebuilding it again soon. But hey Knucklehead, they don't call you that for nothing. Funny you don't ask why everybody says it's a bad manifold. So we guess you don't care. Budlight I had already written the reply post to your last thread that you deleted. You don't get it do you? That is a bad manifold, the fuel distribution is terrible, that's why it burns pistons. Look at yours when you have it apart or if your inexperienced, let a machinist look at it. We are not being smartasses. We are trying to help, so don't get butthurt. BL

Moneypitt
    ." Keep the single 4 barrel tunnelram after you rebuild the frozen motor and you'll be rebuilding it again soon. But hey Knucklehead, they don't call you that for nothing. Funny you don't ask why everybody says it's a bad manifold. So we guess you don't care. You don't get it do you? That is a bad manifold, the fuel distribution is terrible, that's why it burns pistons. Look at yours when you have it apart or if your inexperienced, let a machinist look at it. We are not being smartasses. We are trying to help, so don't get butthurt. BL(Partial quote)
    The idea of a tunnel ram is high RPM performance. The idea of an Olds is low RPM TORQUE.......Put a good open plenum single 4 brl intake on it, or a low profile 2X4 with small CFM carbs. The bottom end torque will amaze you and you don't have to have all that "Olds destroying" RPM to make it work. You mentioned Keith Black pistons, are they the Hypertounic? (sp). If you re-use the Hypers, the ring gaps recomended are CRITICAL to piston life. I run an Olds in an old hydro (1968) v drive, 2X4 w/ 600 Edlebrocks on an Offy low profile with 3" carb spacers. Works great, 78.5 GPS @ 5300.............MP

Wicked Performance Boats
    The gearhead forum is the best place to find olds engine info. There's a lot of good info to help on building a great reliable olds. BL

pimpinpdr
    yesterday i hit a 1 foot deep cove doing about 60 or so and now i have got some vibration problems. i checked the impellar and there were no sticks or rocks in there. the vanes looked fine. so my question is what do i check next?

Knucklehead
    Well thanks for the answer, that has an explanation.. I dont come on here to make enemies or talk $h#t.
    The jet's thrust bearing did go out also the shoulder of the bearing is gone it rode on the ball bearings and there was not any clunks or just not louder than the engine so I didnt hear it
    What manifold do you and anyone else recommend then?
    If I put 2 smaller carbs on that tunnel ram will this be better or will that not work either?

Wicked Performance Boats
    yesterday i hit a 1 foot deep cove doing about 60 or so and now i have got some vibration problems. i checked the impellar and there were no sticks or rocks in there. the vanes looked fine. so my question is what do i check next?
    Pimpinpdr, You should start your own thread. This one belongs to knucklehead. The thread is completely different. BL

Wicked Performance Boats
    Well thanks for the answer, that has an explanation.. I dont come on here to make enemies or talk $h#t.
    The jet's thrust bearing did go out also the shoulder of the bearing is gone it rode on the ball bearings and there was not any clunks or just not louder than the engine so I didnt hear it
    If I put 2 smaller carbs on that tunnel ram will this be better or will that not work either?
    If you put 2 smaller carbs on it will definately help, But it's hard to find a 2 carb top for it and if you find they still make a 2 carb top, It will cost you as much as a new complete manifold. Go to the spam section forum and post for what you want to buy. Maybe somebody has what you want. Budlight

sleekvino
    we need more specks on what cam you want to run ,but dont go to big of a lift because they cant take it.that manifold will eat your motor up .as far as pistons go get some good forged pistons dont go with the hypereutectic,they dont like the marine motors,if your top gap isnt right it will pop the tops of pistons.

pimpinpdr
    sorry i was just looking for a little help. thanx though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast