Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: High speed SBC DSL.

Havasu Hangin'
    Is this what I should be looking at?
    here (http://ttester.broadbandreports.com/...os=&via=normal)
    Says it's not a speed test.
    This (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests...50c2c7de518d;2. 0;personal.surewest.com/1100263894) is what I was talking about. The speed test will show data transer rates...it also has lists of the fastest service, and how you compare to other users.
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest

NorCal Gameshow
    i dont know what the numbers mean. If they are good.
    I did to twice.
    1- 900 KBPS download
    315 KBPS upload,
    and teh second time
    1238 down
    315 up.
    Is this good for DSL?
    yes that's really good...
    i'm about 374 down and 314 up

Mrs.RoxySnow
    You pay a lot of money for a service that is offered by a lot of companies (although many use some or all of SBC facilities). Let them know you will switch companies to see if that increases their service. Policy is to oversubscribe, and not upgrade equipment until the formula, but loud customers can get equipment upgrades/moves forced. It may be as simple as moving you to a less populate DSLAM. No way to really know how much they have tried to fix the problem though...
    Good luck, dealing with SBC is not fun if you don't have an 'inside'.
    We've had SBC DSL for a long time now, still works great. I have had a couple of times where my internet connection wasn't available so I just called the SBC DSL Help Desk and they walked me right through fixing it over the phone. If you need the number: (877) 722-3755. Hope it helps!

Misogynist
    yes that's really good...
    i'm about 374 down and 314 up
    I'm 2975 down and 768 up.... That is the difference with 3 meg service... but if your computer is slow.... 2975 doesn't seem any faster than 374... so no biggy... it's still so much faster than dial up. I think the fastest I ever got on dial up was about 38 on a 56k modem.... So... 374 is about 7 times faster than you could ever get on a 56k modem... not bad.

NorCal Gameshow
    I'm 2975 down and 768 up.... That is the difference with 3 meg service... but if your computer is slow.... 2975 doesn't seem any faster than 374... so no biggy...
    yep,kinda like driving a viper with flat tires :frown:

It's all Good
    You should definitely have SBC look at your line or their setup. Often they will put a cap on the line based on various facors that will limit the speed.
    I agree with checking out other DSL providers. I use www.dslextreme.com. They resell SBC DSL, but they manage the connection. I have the 6MB/608KB service from them for $60/month with 5 static IP addresses, price guaranteed to not ever go up. The speeds are really about 5MB/500KB with the TCP overhead on DSL. The service is great, and they are very active on the dslreports.com site.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234