Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a winter project...............

My buddy owns the website http://www.jetheaven.us
    We're looking to put together a FAQ (frequently asked questions) column and he wants to dedicate a button to this. There are a couple different reasons for this obviously.
    1. He'd like to increase interest/traffic in his free site, message board, and classified ads.
    2. He'd also like to provide a place where the more typical jetboat questions can be answered without people having to repeat the same information over and over.
    3. We'd be looking for those frequently asked questions like.. water in my oil? High end miss? How to plumb waterlines? Will a bigger carb make my boat faster? etc. Maybe even sections pertaining to certain engine types and the problems that are common to them. ex. Fords and the weak distributor gear pin, Olds and oiling issues. Not trying to just blow off the newbies with a bunch of generic answers, but maybe it'd keep guys from having to repeat themselves so much.
    The idea would be, if someone were to ask one of those questions you could just link to the FAQ button on his page and with any luck that individual could find their answer. If they can't find it after trying the remedies, then at least they'd have troubleshot the normal things and all those questions wouldn't have to be asked in an effort to help them.
    What'd ya think? Is this worth pursuing? If you think so, fire me some questions and answers. Only looking for the answers most common to the problems. Anything more detailed than that is something they could come back for after they've tried the normal fixes. I'm going to put up my email address and you can drop your Q&A's there, or put em up here. If they're emailed I'll just copy em to a word doc and can input them to the page when time permits.
    danimal2@earthlink.net
    If you don't think it's worth while, then we'll just let this die.

FHI-prez
    Here's my take on it Dan so take that for what it's worth. I understand what you guys and thinking and I'm sure it will work to some degree, BUT from my experience the FAQ pages in anything are rarely used for a number of reasons. The most common reason is that people just don't want to look through them when they are looking for a solution to their problem. It may be time sensitive or laziness. The second most common reason would have to be that everyone thinks their particular problem has special twists to it, and most often they are correct. The FAQ answers HAVE to be generic and general, therefore only stem limited questions on any one topic.
    Not trying to piss in your cheerios at all, but unless some REAL time is put into the FAQ section it will probably not get used that much. Let's face it, most of the time it's just easier to ask, then to actually be proactive and try and find the answers. :hammer2:
    Although I do like the idea, and Jeheaven could deffinitely use some traffic, I just think a FAQ page might not be the answer, UNLESS some real time is put into it, and that might just make it easier for the pros to repeat themselves
    my .02
    Nick

I understand what you're saying completely and that's why I posted this here. You guys are always good to bounce ideas off.
    There are many times that I haven't responded to the basic questions because I got tired of typing in the same things all the time. Eventually their questions did get answered, of course, by folks that just wanted to help and didn't mind the re-hash of old information. I guess the bottom line here is, there's always someone willing to help others out no matter how mundane the task (which is cool of ya'll incidently).
    This is why I termed it "a winter project" because we have lots of time now in most the country, and I figured if there was a good time to do this...........this would be it. I'd want to keep the information as generic as possible. No great details, just some basic ideas. This would be designed to help out all but the folks with the unique twists you spoke of.
    MikeC and RJB had a short section (very short) of FAQ's and it actually got used by quite a few of the new guys.
    Thanks for your input.
    I'd still be willing to put this together if anyone else has some free time and wants to help out.
    If not..............no biggie.

Cas
    Administrator speaking- all that FHI mentioned is true but on top of that, it can be a double edged sword. If you put a lot of FAQ's up that anwer the questions, it can cut down on board participation. The other area that I found to be true with Admining a couple of boards, they get they're own identity by the people that post. Most boards evolve into a select few people from a certain area thus becoming a "click" for a lack of better word.
    I tried with the LBBA message board to make it friendly for all and for people from all over to post their outings. It's just turning into another more localized board. RJB seemed to be mostly SoCal and AZ people, Banderlog seems to be mostly NorCal and from what I've seen at Jet Heaven, it's also mostly AZ people. I have to admit though, I haven't been to JH in quite a long time.
    A lot of times new people come to a board only to find it's hard to break into the "family" that's there. I know a few people that felt that way about the original RJB. Being I had a Panther, I was one of them. Not saying that is going on at JH though.
    As a board hopper - I'll help where I can with the FAQ's

Squirtin Thunder
    It's just turning into another more localized board. RJB seemed to be mostly SoCal and AZ people, Banderlog seems to be mostly NorCal and from what I've seen at Jet Heaven, it's also mostly AZ people. I have to admit though, I haven't been to JH in quite a long time.
    And again I am an exception to the rule. Or just maybe just an acception ???
    I will say I miss RJB board. It was a nice place to go. Banderlog is the first board that I ever did and there are alot of nice people there with some nice equiptment. My computor doesn't like the LBBB for some reason. This board has mellowed out quite a bit to wear it is not so harsh any more which is nice. Which I atribute to the participation of the RJB members that came over.
    Just my $ .02
    Jim
    BTW - Jim Lee has a new feature on Banderlog check it out !!!

Nucking futs
    I tried to register but wont take any of my nicks,say i have bad wordin in my name.Tried just my first name and it ddi it again.

Dan, I happen to think it is a good idea. When I signed on as moderator of the jet section over at River Rat Life, I had intended to do something similar. I discovered it was going to be a lot more work than I had time for. Ultimately, I decided not to continue past the preliminary stages( list of topics and basic outline of answers) as there was very little activity in that forum. On a "jet specific" board I think it would be more valuable. It would also be a convenient source of info to "link" to from other boards.

O.K. this is good. Pros and cons and both very valid (mostly cons though). Just so's ya know...........this is not a ploy to steal board traffic/members. As many know I participate on a number of different boards and enjoy them all (probably should get a life eh). It's very true that JH is made up primarily of Arizonans and oddly enough Texans (we've got guys that stop by from the group that holds mousefest each year in San Antonio) although not so much lately. The owner is paying for the site and it's just not getting a lot of traffic. I'd hate to see another board bite the dust, but it's a possibility in this case.
    In addition, I always thought the FAQ could've been a good idea.
    Thanks all for your opinions.
    Dan
    I tried to register but wont take any of my nicks,say i have bad wordin in my name.Tried just my first name and it ddi it again.
    Not sure what's up with that. Let me look into it.
    I know a few people that felt that way about the original RJB. Being I had a Panther, I was one of them.
    Steve, as you know from our personal email correspondence after that matter, I never agreed with any of that. Still don't. Mike's my pal but I didn't care for the way that whole deal went down.

Squirtin Thunder
    Dan,
    I like your new site and have enjoyed the hull work.
    Jim :notam:

Cas
    Dan,
    After all that and our emails, I tried calling Mike to try and hash things out. Ended up leaving a voicemail and never got a returned call. From what I understand, Mike is now more into his race car than the jet stuff? Don't know if that's true or not, just what I've gathered from various posts over the past couple of months.
    Back in January I had a conversation with Jim in regards to the LBBA and Banderlog. Jim thought it was best to try and seperate the 2 instead of them being assiciated with one another. He also wanted the Banderlog board to get back to more of a tech site, the way it was. I thought it was a good idea also.
    My intention with the LBBA site was to have a place where people could go to find out about outings in many areas around the US, not just NorCal. People could use the interactive calendar, the chat room and message board to let others know where they were going or to make plans with other people....it's kind of going there but not the way I was hoping for.
    I put up the various boat boards for people to share pictures and other info about their boats. As things turned out, that area turned into more of a tech section. It's not being used that much anymore but there is still some pretty good info there, maybe some useful stuff for the FAQ page you're talking about? I've been contemplating deleting that section but just can't get myself to dump it all.
    Oh yea, one of the things I was going to talk to Mike about was to possibly work together, RJB for the tech stuff and the LBBA board for the chit chat and get together stuff. Maybe we could do something together?
    btw, you coming to TP5?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast