Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallett should I buy it

mach1alaska
    A friend of mine has a 68 hallett minus engine in good shape inside and out with a casale drive with forward reverse and neutral. He is willing to sell it to me for $1,000 with tandem trailer I have a very strong running 396 in my jet boat that I could use in it and stick a stock 454 in the jet to sell it. I have owned several jets but this would be my first v drive ( I have heard once you go v youl never go back ) what do you think?? I don,t have any pics at this time.
    Kevin

Moneypitt
    Any boat in "good shape in and out" is worth that. Jet, v drive, or even an outboard that is water worthy and just needing power is a good deal. I question the F (N) R aspect of the casale, are you sure its not just N and F?As far as your 396, remember the v drive/prop will allow the engine to rev higher than the jet, so beware of over reving the 96, know what gears are in the v drive and what prop is on the boat before the first water test, and hang on to your sanity when it really starts to PULL!!!!!!...........MP

mach1alaska
    The 396 was originally built for a v drive set up to run 6500rpm it was built with all the good stuff and ended up getting installed in a jet instead.It was not real eficient in that aplication but would still pull a heavy full stringer 18 ft jet at 74 mph (gps) at 5200 rpm a cut impeller. It should do better in the hallet.
    I would eventually like to put an 871 blower on it, is the hull desiegn of the 68 a good cantidate for that?? and what speed are they safe to?? it had a stock 454 and would only do 75 before. He pulled the engine to install in a newer hallet to sell and intended to build a stronger motor for this one but you know how that goes.
    He was running it last summer and yes it does back up , I was told that was fairly rare for a casale drive. the boat also has seating for five.
    And too late on the sanity thing I lost that a long time ago :messedup:

76biesmeyer
    My first boat was a jet boat!! But the first real boat was a v-drive!!! Sounds like a good deal on the V-Drive Good luck

steveo143
    real boats have propellers.
    steveo143 21 DiMarco

GofastRacer
    Sounds like a deal, yes Casale did make a v-drive with F/N/R!.. :smile:

mach1alaska
    You all convinced me ,, I'll buy it and pull the good engine out of the jet and put a stock 454 out of a 77 suburban in the jet.
    a few newbie v drive questions.other than the pan and headers what will I need? What do they use for a waterpump? the boat is in reno and I live in northern montana (will use the suburban to tow the boat home)
    What kind of speed are the older halletts safe to? is 100 with a blower even reasonable or safe?? and what should I look out for when I start getting used to the boat? I am sure I will have many more questions along the way.
    I will probably enclose the engine and open the bow on the jet to make it more familly friendly, that way I wont even have to pretend the hallet is a familly boat

GofastRacer
    Ok maybe I missed it but what model is it???

FlatRat
    Northern Montana,
    whereabouts?I'm in Northwest Montana.BAAAA

mach1alaska
    Sorry about that ,, it is a 19" flatty I am not sure what model . I dont believe it was ever a race boat but built as a pleasure boat (a pleasure if you like to go fast and don't like your kidneys )
    I am about 10 miles out of troy and about 25 from libby. direct line 8 miles from idaho and 35 from canada. No sheep in my area, but still looking BAAAAAAA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast