Thread: Need help from NZ boaters

Jungle Boy
    I have a buddy with a 13 ft aluminum sprint boat that he's thinking of installing a aluminum V-8 from Japan (Nissan, Toyota ect). Any info or insight on installation, drive shafts, electronics, best motor and so on would be greatly appriciated. He will be running very shallow rivers and creeks, so he wants to keep weight down. Thanks.

hoolign
    hey dude ran into another friend of yours helge sheit, how goes in the jungle,got a foot of snow here and more in hinton,just pulled the rmk out, time to rip!! later dude HOOLIGN

Kiwi Legend Jetter
    Jungle Boy,
    The options are almost endless... as you know jap engines are becoming very popular in boats here because of there wieght, reliabilty, and availability. The Lexus V8 is a good option, but not as light as you may expect, i don't know much about the Nissan V8's... did you guys take one back with you after the worlds?
    Installation is not a difficult job... most people doing it themselves make custom parts to install the engine. Drive line is easy, use a normal universal. Almost all engines installed use a link computer which is programmable to control ignition and fuel. www.link-electro.co.nz (http://www.link-electro.co.nz)
    There are other options other than the V8's. Nissan V6's are also popular, the twin turbo version goes very well, also gives more room in the boat being a shorter engine.
    I'm fitting a subaru 6 cylinder boxer, which has good hp and torque figures, very light but installation as a little harder. More details on my web site http://www.angelfire.com/dc/cm2
    Marine exhaust manifolds are being produced here to suit the more common engines like Nissan V6 and Lexus V8.
    The cost is generally about NZ$5000 to have a complete engine ready to bolt in.
    I would be interested to here more about the boat... keep in touch

fryzll
    Hey guys, has anyone thought about the Cadilac Northstar V/8's? I know alot of people are using them in sandrails w/ great results. There are company's that make stand alone wiring harnesses for them and from what ive heard you can put some big boost #'s to them in stock form. Just a thought.
    Chris

Jungle Boy
    Hoolign, Still working in the trees eh. That's good, it's getting a bit slow in Alberta I here. There is a good boat for sale that would be good for you. It's Hazlets old 15 ft boat with a fresh 406 SBC installed. Sam, from Eagle is going back to New Zealand in January and needs to sell it. I know the boat is excellent and it works real good. It runs about 70 MPH and is a real tight turning boat. Ask Hazlet about it, or Sam at Eagle. He is desparate to sell it before he goes back home. Asking 14000, but you should be able to get it down as his departure date gets closer. I'm back to Ecuador on Wendsday. Don't freeze your ass in the snow.
    Jungle Boy

Jungle Boy
    Kiwi, Thanks for your ideas. We were wondering about exhaust manifolds. I'm sure that none are made here. Yes, we brought back a V-8 nissan, but the sea-can will not arrive back in Canada for 3 months, so we are trying to get some things figured out without a motor to look at. I glad it's not my race boat in those sea-cans. I sounds as though they are taking a world tour before arriving home. I will forward your info to my buddy. Thanks.

hoolign
    JB i know hazletts old boat, the blue one,maybe ill drive sam to the airport and haggle in the truck he he, Alberta is slowing down some rigs havent worked for 100 days mine hasnt shut down for a week,balls to the walls on the mighty 21, 48 days on this hole and we just blew our liner top fracin another 2-3 weeks and its off to Edson to do 3-4 jobs busy till summer,later dude HOOLIGN

RiverDave2
    A little input...
    Why not try Acura's V6 Legend Block? Full V-Tec dual overhead cams, Aluminum Block etc... My buddy had a sandrail with one after a little work (yeah right) and a blower it was putting out something like 850+hp.. The kids are getting upwards of 500hp out of the 4 bangers nowadays.. Just something to consider. (If you buy an NSX block it comes with some REALLY NICE Rods, Crank etc..)
    RD

Jungle Boy
    RD, The more we look into this little project the more ideas are coming. We have auto wreckers in the area with about every type of Jap motor thinkable. My wife has an Acura with v-tech and it would make an excellent motor. It will all come down to which one my friend loads in the back of his truck on that day. Winter is long here and we have time to think about all options. Thanks all.

Kiwi Legend Jetter
    JB,
    If you can get hold of HP/Torque charts for any engines you may be considering, you also need to consider what pump setup you will need and what rpm the engine will do. Good torque is what i would be considering when choosing an engine. Also supercharging is a good option... Toyota made a supercharged two liter engine, i've seen some of these superchargers fitted to cars. They are very clever in that they have a clutch arrangement so that at low rpms/idle the supercharger is not being driven, you can set up a switch on the throttle or the computer can tell it when to engage and start providing boost. I would love to put two of them on my engine (3.3 liter). There is a boat here with the same engine as mine (Subaru 3.3 6 cyl boxer) with custom fitted twin turbos... 450hp!!!