Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: busted trans brace need info

Scape Goat
    busted trans brace need info.
    the left side of the brace that holds the tranmision tail is busted at the weld.
    where can I get it fix or another one made, and what material should I use.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C01592-med.JPG

GofastRacer
    Shit can it and get a peice of channel and some 2x2x1/4 angle (6061T6) and make a new one, piece of cake!..

77Eliminator
    Do you have a rear engine mount or do you just have a front engine mount with a tranny tail mount?

Scape Goat
    thanks gofastracer,
    and 77 eliminator, no it has four point mount for the engine and one for the tail as seen in the pict.
    thanks guys

77Eliminator
    I was just wondering because I had to add the rear engine mount because my tail mount also busted

GofastRacer
    I have installed TH400's in cruisers and I found out(the hard way)that the tail housing should not be mounted solid due to flex in the boat, I've seen mounts break and also cases break. Rubber mount it and that eliminates the problem!..

Scape Goat
    go fast my motor mounts and trans mount are all on rubber bushings
    guess that is a good thing
    except that the trans mount broke

VD CRUISER
    This is my set up, haven't had any problem with it breaking.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...10100_1616.JPG

Tahiti350
    Going to show my ignorance, but this is the first time I've seen transmissions in boats, I am going to assume (yeah, I know) that this allows getting out of the hole with a bigger prop, and still being able to top end? Other than the obvious trans cooler and shifter is there anything else needed to tie it to a standard V drive? I am looking at options for when I finally gernade the OMC 800 hanging off the back of my 20' Tahiti. I like being able to tow skier's and still run fast and this looks like a good way to do both.
    Anyone in Pac N.W. with one that I could look at in person, or that has done the conversion from I/O or Jet, to V? I am considering going thru the Pontiac 455 that I currently have for sale to put in my hull, and might move this direction more quickly if a V swap is about the same price as a good (yeah, whatever) OMC 800.
    Also, anyone have Pontiac log manifolds or thru transom Headers for a Poncho?
    GaryB> Tahiti350

VD CRUISER
    The primary reason for a transmission in a v drive is to have a neutral and reverse. The Turbo 400 is strong, reasonably priced and offers lower gears for idling in speed zones,and marinas. I haven't found any benefit in taking off in the lower gears,as even with 48% overdrive in the v drive, I can zing the motor if I give it much throttle in second gear.
    You may be able to find some old log manifolds for the Pontiac, I'm not sure if anyone is still making them or not.
    The v drive conversion can be done, but would be quite pricey unless you can do most of the work yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast