Thread: Calgo steering explaination please....

WheelerDealer
    I have done a couple of searches on this subject and can't really find out what I want to know about it. I have seen the boats with the two pieces of cable coming out of the transom adapter and I understand it is a push/pull type set up, but I would like to know exactly how it works from inside the transom up to the wheel. Anybody got pictures of all the components? Is Calgo steering a good set up for a lake boat or is it a center steer race only type deal? Also, can a system be bought new, and if so where can you get it and how much? Thanks for any help on this subject.

Jake W2
    Calgo can be bought at CP Preformance for 739 bucks(for tht short jet system)then you need to buy the stearing adapter 50 bucks for the 6 in and a tiller arm unpolished 120 so you see its not cheap .I will let some one who has it explaine how it is set up.
    Total is 909 + shipping
    Jake

Squirtin Thunder
    I believe it is the duel cable; pull pull steering.
    A must win you start going real fast.
    Jim

WheelerDealer
    Jake W2 originally posted...
    Total is 909 + shipping
    Holy Sh#t Batman! That's a little steep. I would still like to see pictures of a set up.

Jake W2
    I think it's a nice system CS 19 and Mike f on the boards run them and I am sure others do to.As far as the speed thing goes Roger ran the R and D Express to over 130 with the normal Morse cable and had no problems.
    I was at Hi Tech and was telling Roger that I wanted the Calgo system but thought it was a bit exp the thought in the shop was there was not much use for it.
    I would still like to get it though but probely wont being I drilled a big ass hole for the stearing ext that is on there now. And the speeds I see wont need it.
    Jake
    PS now for a roundy round boat it might be a diffrent story.

WheelerDealer
    Jake W2 originally posted...
    [B[I was at Hi Tech and was telling Roger that I wanted the Calgo system but thought it was a bit exp the thought in the shop was there was not much use for it.[/B]
    When I was at Hi-Tech last Friday they were rigging a new purple Cheyenne that was going to be a Blown Alcohol drag boat with center steer and it had the regular Morse cable operated set up on it as well.

MikeF
    Calgo steering pull/pull. I have not taken the steering/spool assy apart so I do not know completely what it looks like inside. I have taken the rear cover off and greased it to keep it maintained without a full teardown. I was told that the cables around the spool cannot (should not) rub against each other cause this could cause the cable to break.
    With the race nozzle only, it would steer real easy. Since putting the diverter on with the extra cable (up/down) it has made it steer more like a regular rack. :squiggle:
    Pretty much most the V-drive raceboats out there (and the F1 outboards) have cable steering so you know it's what you want if that is your gig.
    Mine was originally a center steer and a circle boat.

Aluminum Squirt
    No experience with the Calgo (is that a brand or a type?) set up, looks pretty cool. I've seen some pretty unique set ups on the white water boats but mostly just the morse cable. Many of the really fast boats run a dual morse set up. The mounting is a little different but hey seem to be pretty tough. We pound on our jets as hard as any racer, if not harder, and I very rarely hear about a steering problem. Is the Calgo system more of a drag boat thing or would it be good for lots of turns as well?-Aluminum Squirt

Calgo has been around for years and years and is a great system which we sell several of. I've seen it used on many marathon ski boats over the years as well as in many other forms of racing. It is a very "positive" system when compared to something like Morse (not saying Morse type isn't adequate for many applications). I have experience with them in vdrive applications and they are almost as positive (no slop) as full chain and cable (flatbottom style stuff). I'm sure they are the same on a jet although I've never driven one with Calgo on it. They aren't a cheap system but are a good system if you're concerned about a very positive feel and reaction on the steering wheel.