Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: luv that nitrous

Unchained
    The progression of nitrous,
    1st stage, Oh wow, what a major kick of cheap performance.
    2nd stage, Oh my, what an inconvenience and expense to fill the ever empty bottle.
    3rd stage, Oh darn, I want to hit the button but then I will need to fill the bottle again tomorrow. Better not.
    4th stage, Oh shit, The other boat cruising next to me wants to race but I'm not sure the bottle has enough nitrous. If the bottle runs out while I'm going for it I'll be pumping raw fuel and be slower than I was before the nitrous.
    5th stage, I've had enough, I'm going to sell the damn nitrous setup and buy a blower.
    http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

RiverToysJas
    How much time on the button is in a typical bottle?
    How much do they cost to refill?
    RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    (yes, I am going to do some simple math with those numbers and figure out at what point the blower becomes the better deal)

Party Cat
    Originally posted by RiverToysJas:
    Juice usually costs anywhere from $2.50-$4.00 a pound. A 10 pound bottle doesn't really last too long if you are running a 150+ shot. I would be a little concerned about bottle pressure in the 120 degree river weather. I would make sure that your bottle is in excelent condition. A NOS bottle that explodes can really ruin your day (as well as anybody close to you).

mister460
    6th stage:Hey, I've got enough space under the bow for about six NOS bottles. I'll be able to hold the button down all day and still not spend as much as a blower!
    7th stage:F*ck it! Twin turbos, nitrous, and injected nitrometh 650 cuber sounds just about right!!!
    It's a vicious cycle!

RiverDave
    Originally posted by Party Cat:
    Juice usually costs anywhere from $2.50-$4.00 a pound. A 10 pound bottle doesn't really last too long if you are running a 150+ shot. I would be a little concerned about bottle pressure in the 120 degree river weather. I would make sure that your bottle is in excelent condition. A NOS bottle that explodes can really ruin your day (as well as anybody close to you).
    Jim NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems... The company) makes Chillers, and bottle Warmers for varying climates and altitudes. The bottle should be equiped with a poppet valve that should release if the pressure goes high enough to warrant failure.
    RD
    RD

Party Cat
    Originally posted by RiverDave:
    Jim NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems... The company) makes Chillers, and bottle Warmers for varying climates and altitudes.
    I didn't know they made chillers, I'm usually heating the one in my car up.
    Originally posted by RiverDave:
    The bottle should be equiped with a poppet valve that should release if the pressure goes high enough to warrant failure.
    Should it the key word. I have seen the results of a NOS bottle gone bad.
    [This message has been edited by Party Cat (edited March 19, 2002).]

Unchained
    RTJ, With a basic carb base 150 hp kit a bottle lasts about 2 min.
    To fill a nitrous bottle here in Mi. is $45.
    For me, from my house the nearest place to fill is 20 mi. plus the time to remove, haul and reinstall, so about an hour of time for a bottle. If you filled the bottle 10 times a year that would be $ 450. plus time spent.
    If you bought a blower and spent $ 2,800 the blower and components would have residual value and probably wouldn't lose value as fast as you can burn nitrous. After you've burn't the nitrous you have squat.

77charger
    Originally posted by RiverToysJas:
    How much time on the button is in a typical bottle?
    RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    (yes, I am going to do some simple math with those numbers and figure out at what point the blower becomes the better deal)
    Jason by the time you got there my bottle was almost empty.got about 1.5-2 min max of good use(if that)
    As for the blower set up not a good idea on a ford because the crank snout is weak and might not handle the added stress.Also you would have to drop your comp ratio.
    With nitrous the power is there when need provided your bootle is full and there is alot less tuningwith a simple 100-125hp set up.
    As for cost how often do you use your boat anyway a few times a year with the family and maybe like EVERYONE a few trips with the guys only to race around?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12