Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SPEEDING TICKET?????

LOWRIVER2
    Mach 1,
    What exactly does the ticket list as THE violation and comments written by the lifeguard? (generally in comments section of the citation/code number as well) and was the person issuing the citation on the water or on shore? (you said pulled over at docks) were they on the dock or in a boat when you were spotted by them?
    LowRiver

OneBadScorpion
    Having been in the law enforcement profession for nearly 17 years, I'd sure point out that the lifeguard didnt or couldnt verify the MPH. Humans dont come with calibrated eyeballs. Anyhow, if you didnt verbally admit any spped, it will be up to the guard to prove your MPH was over the limit.
    85 % of moving violations are dismissed for defective instruments(the written ticket) or not being able to prove the alleged violation. Go to court, represent yourself "Pro se", put the guard on the stand, ask him logical questions, then specifically ask how he measured your speed....if he cant prove your speed other than visual observation, I'd say you could beat it.
    Just my 2 cents worth, after all my years as a Deputy in kansas, but I am not familar with the laws within your state. During the summer, we co-op with Kansas Wildlife and parks for boating operations, I've never seen a speed ticket except in no wake zones ever be fined. Unless you can specifically prove "X" mph, its a matter of evidence submission...if he cant submit it, he cant prove it(the lifeguard).

MrHavasuCat
    I don't know about life guards, but police officers / Deputy Sheriff's in California are sent to classes that teach them to estimate speeds of a moving vehicle. They are required to pass tests in the class to be certified, and can use this training in court as an expert witness. It is up to the judge, but most tickets are hard to beat. Show up in the chance that the life guard does not, and if he does see if the judge will reduce the fine.

mach1 454
    thanx boating bros, for all the help and support.hope i beat the stupid bitch that gave me the ticket in courte!!!!
    mach1 454

superdave013
    You got lucky on your ticket IMHOP. You could have gotten one like I did years ago at Lake Web. I was doing the same thing but got ticketed for Reckless and Negligent Endangerment. In the notes section it said (racing). I had to stand in front of the judge too. You just might beet it if you ask how he proved your speed. But he might just let the judge know you were racing and He gave you a break on the speed contest one. Let us know how you do.

Wet Dream
    I'm sure I missed something, but what happened on 1/11??

pgf127rt
    mach 1, I don't know how the court system works in Cal. but here in Texas, it is a Justice of the Peace who handles these matters which occur in their precints, aand I have found out the hard way that they are completely biased in their decisions of right and wrong on matters such as your's, why, because they get a percentage of the ticket to pad their incomes, so if they seem to be one way I think you can figure the rest.

pgf127rt
    oop's I double posted and this was the only way to edit.
    [This message has been edited by pgf127rt (edited February 02, 2002).]

Bubbledeck2
    I'd go to court and fight it too, although I agree that "the other guy didn't get a ticket" defense may not work. I might make mention of the selective enforcement fact though .. you're a kid, the other guy was an adult, which one should know better blah blah.
    As for lifeguards although they perform a valuable service my experience with them is that they suck! Years ago (before sit downs even heh)when I used to jet ski at Dana Point the lifeguards were always on our ass for riding to close to the beach. As I recall the law then was 100' away from swimmers and the shoreline. We even measured and marked off spots on the jetty in 50' increments so we'd have a solid visual reference point. They still hassled us, ticketed us, and said out measured points didn't matter, only their visual observations did .. dicks

14HAVASU
    TIP OF THE DAY MY FRIEND,,GO TO HAVASU,,THE ONLY TICKET YOU MIGHT GET IS FOR LOOSING TO A HALLET.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast