Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Determining if a boat has too many hours.

lets get wet
    when purchasing a used boat how do you determine if a boat has too many hours on it. Is 80 hours avg a year good or bad on a boat? Or does it not really matter?

ECeptor
    It depend on how those hours were spent. I'd rather buy a boat that was run easy for 800hrs by a responsible driver who kept it clean and stored out fo the elements than one with 100hrs that was driven wide open and was stored at a dock in the water.
    Really depends damage to the engine/drive and the boat's interior and paint, not the actual hours.

lets get wet
    the seller SAYS he always stored the boat indoors, the boat apppears to be in a really good shape. I was just a liitle concerned because it is a 2002 essex, but it has 211 hours on it. But the interior and the hull is in great shape.

phebus
    What motor and drive?

lets get wet
    it has the 350 mag and bravo 1 drive

Trigger
    it has the 350 mag and bravo 1 drive
    You have many hours on that package before any work is necessary. If you are talking any of the Merc HP motors then 211 hrs would be getting ready for springs, etc...

lets get wet
    You have many hours on that package before any work is necessary. If you are talking any of the Merc HP motors then 211 hrs would be getting ready for springs, etc...
    When you say springs, etc are we referring to costly repairs or just minor repair cost. What I am trying to stay away from is purchasing a used boat, then having to dump more money into it in repairs.

phebus
    I would just make sure the seller had records showing the boat was serviced at the proper intervals, and that the price reflected the slightly more than average hours.

lets get wet
    By the way how do you guys feel about essex, do they build a nice boat or would it be a better bet to go with the ultra?

phebus
    Both are very nice boats.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast