Thread: 502 rebuild upgrade

vairy8
    I just purchased a 1994 30' conquest enforcer, after 3 times out it melted 2 pistons. anyway I have the motor out every thing looks good but the pistons. while it is out I am going to a complete rebuild, pistons, bearings ,cam etc. I am looking for a combination to get around 500hp on pump gas. I am planning on reusing stock crank and heads. I'm not sure about intake carb and exhaust if i should replace or reuse with new pistons and cam. The boat has a bravo 1 1.5 ratio 4 blade 24 pitch prop, got 67 on gps just under 5000 rpm. any help would be great
    and maybe an answer why it melted the pistons to begin with I havent had a solid answer yet except it was lean on those cylinders
    thanks Aaron

Infomaniac
    EFI or Carb?
    Lean melting a piston should be enough information to get you investigating exactly why it went lean.

victorfb
    were they the only two cylinders burning lean?
    if you plan to do the rebuild assembly yourself, may i suggest you set the specs up for marine application and not automotive. marine specs are normally looser. meaning the clearances (rod/main bearing), and cam timing. talk with a reputable builder.
    Denis Moore has alot of good info for you on your 502. hit him up and anyone else that is willing to advise you.

vairy8
    the 4 inside pistons were running hotter than outside ones two that melted were #4 and #6. I was going to send block to machine shop have every thing check then get help from racecar buddies to put together, but I did not know there were different tolerences for marine engines. thanks for info.
    Aaron

sleek willy
    Can you post photos of your boat? I have a 28' sleekcraft enforcer, I'm told sleekcraft and conquest are related and I'm curious to see what yours looks like.
    -Sleek Willy

vairy8
    from what I under stand in or around 1994 sleekcraft and conquest merged or something. The boat we have is a 1994, we called conqest befor we got it and they said they did not make the boat, but the previous company did, and I assumed they meant sleekcraft. My boat is identical to any other sleekcraft I have seen. It is probably same as 28' it just has built in swim platform. It didn't matter much we liked the boat, but I am still curious as to what happened between conquest and sleekcraft. If you find out anything else I would like to hear it. I will try to post some pictures. Thanks, Aaron

sleek willy
    Aaron,
    My boat is a 1989 with a "tunnel V " bottom, Otherwise the hulls should be the same.
    -Sleek Willy

sleek willy
    Aaron,
    My 502 Spins a 28" 4-blade through a 1.5 geared Bravo 1 to 5,600 + rpm, to 75 mph by my speedo [ it seems faster, but who knows?]. It's a gen V block w/forged crank, 4-bolt mains, and iron heads. Nothing too exotic just roller rockers, Lightning headers, 2 800 cfm holleys on a wieand 871 @ 5 pounds of boost. I'd guess 700 hp , but don't really know.
    It's strong, reliable and does fine on 91 octane. Is 500 hp going to be enough??? come on, you know you want a blower :messedup: . Besides, it's only money $$$$$ .
    -Sleek Willy