Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flipping my boat over

cyclone
    Ok I've got the sides and top of my boat all sanded. The interior is out and the motor too. What's the best way to flip my boat over? Its sitting inside my shop on the trailer. After I flip it over, i figured I set it on some tires. anyone have some good ideas for this?

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by cyclone:
    [B]Ok I've got the sides and top of my boat all sanded. What's the best way to flip my boat over? Its sitting inside my shop on the trailer. After I flip it over, i figured I set it on some tires.
    B]
    Dude you're in deep. And that's pretty cool. I almost bought this complete & running rare Python drag hull (1 of 33) that needed both the paint and gel coat cut down for my repaint. I shot polyurethane enamels (Imron) for years and have a friend who is the general manager of a body shop (for spray-booth access). Even with those points on my side, I was eventually talked out of the project and found something else.
    If tires are all you have, I don't see why they couldn't support the boat. Just be sure to have enough of them to spread out so that you can distribute the weight of the hull over as many support points as possible. It might be a good idea to throw a blanket or something over the tires before you put the boat on them so that you don't get rubber streaks on your freshly sanded hull. AND CHECK CAREFULLY FOR STABILITY; some used tire cases may be weaker than others and collapse--then your hull comes grinding to the garage floor. And so if you must do this tire deal, don't stack more than two high. Just get the hull off the ground. How about some saw horses for this home project?
    I once sprayed a Sanger hull that was hanging from a tree......be imaginative.

flattie
    alright I slid my sanger off the trailer & on to some tires in the lawn them got about 3 to 4 guys rolled it up on to its side. then up side down then on to a wooden dolley I built then I painted the bottom let sit for about 2 days and rolled it back over and painted the top. It worked out pretty slick.

Bense468
    FRIENDS. That is my advice when it comes down to turning it over

Flat Screwd
    Cyclone I just lift the boat up , pull the trailer out then set it down on saw horses. The rest is just creeper work. My biggest fear is to have the deck pop off the bottom. Some of the cheeper boat just tech screw the deck to the bottom and then scab glass around the inside. Then they cover the seam with rub rail. If your boat is one of these that I described than my advice is DONT SHAKE THE BABY.
    If you spray with a 2 qt. pot than to spry the bottom , sides, and top in one shot is not that big a deal.

LeadFootTheRabbit
    I agree with everyone else. Friends, lots of friends. It depends on how heavy your boat is but extra help is always than not enough. I've used tires but I perfer to use hay bales. They are uniform in size, you can arrange them as you wish and when your done you can sell em. 4-6 bales should do the trick. Have fun... LDFTRBT

FoMoCo
    I built a dolly out of 2x6's with a lot of foam to keep it from putting direct pressure on the boat. I had 2 engine host and about 7 people. I rapped a tow strap around the jet pump for the back, and some realy strong rope around the tow hook on the fron of the boat. I lifted it up about 4 ft, rolld out the trailer, and rolled the boat over upside down while in the air,Then I pulled the my home made dolly with casters right under it and let it down... I had to borrow both Cherry Pickers.. I had it there for like 2 months because it could roll in and around the garage, so I could also paint the trailer.!!

cyclone
    Originally posted by LakesOnly:
    Dude you're in deep. And that's pretty cool. I almost bought this complete & running rare Python drag hull (1 of 33) that needed both the paint and gel coat cut down for my repaint. I shot polyurethane enamels (Imron) for years and have a friend who is the general manager of a body shop (for spray-booth access). Even with those points on my side, I was eventually talked out of the project and found something else.
    If tires are all you have, I don't see why they couldn't support the boat. Just be sure to have enough of them to spread out so that you can distribute the weight of the hull over as many support points as possible. It might be a good idea to throw a blanket or something over the tires before you put the boat on them so that you don't get rubber streaks on your freshly sanded hull. AND CHECK CAREFULLY FOR STABILITY; some used tire cases may be weaker than others and collapse--then your hull comes grinding to the garage floor. And so if you must do this tire deal, don't stack more than two high. Just get the hull off the ground. How about some saw horses for this home project?
    I once sprayed a Sanger hull that was hanging from a tree......be imaginative.
    Ok so sawhorses are a better idea then? wanted the boat close to the floor but I'm no expert at this.

cyclone
    Originally posted by Flat Screwd:
    Cyclone I just lift the boat up , pull the trailer out then set it down on saw horses. The rest is just creeper work. My biggest fear is to have the deck pop off the bottom. Some of the cheeper boat just tech screw the deck to the bottom and then scab glass around the inside. Then they cover the seam with rub rail. If your boat is one of these that I described than my advice is DONT SHAKE THE BABY.
    If you spray with a 2 qt. pot than to spry the bottom , sides, and top in one shot is not that big a deal.
    This brings up another question I have: I pulled the moulding off around the edge of the hull and the gap was really tight all the way around the hull until I looked at the left rear corner. The gap in between the top and side pieces was 1/4-inch whereas the gap around the rest of the hull was like 1mm. I pondered capping the hull and eliminating the moulding. anyone ever done this before and what are the downsides, other than bumping into the dock.

cyclone
    Originally posted by FoMoCo:
    I built a dolly out of 2x6's with a lot of foam to keep it from putting direct pressure on the boat. I had 2 engine host and about 7 people. I rapped a tow strap around the jet pump for the back, and some realy strong rope around the tow hook on the fron of the boat. I lifted it up about 4 ft, rolld out the trailer, and rolled the boat over upside down while in the air,Then I pulled the my home made dolly with casters right under it and let it down... I had to borrow both Cherry Pickers.. I had it there for like 2 months because it could roll in and around the garage, so I could also paint the trailer.!! Hey now that sounds like the hot ticket! and alot of friends as bense suggested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast