Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Choice.......

Hallett19
    I am sure this has been posted a MILLION times, so if anyone has a link to a thread or wants to toss in some input, I have an Isky marine cam now, I think it is the only one they make w/o custom ordering one. I have a ford 460,msd coil, decked block, windage tray, doulbe valve springs, weiand stealth intake, holley 780 vac carb, logs, A CUT IMPELLER, berk 12JC pump, and a partridge in a pear tree, now what cam should I use ??? this is mine .......RPM-Range (2000-5400) Lift (.525 .525) Valve Lash hot (.000 .000) Duration (278 278) .050 Duration (234 234) LC 110 ......I think http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

blondebomber
    call up clay smith cams and talk to George tell him what ya got and he will hook you up 714-523-0530

flat broke
    Hallet,
    We have that exact cam sitting somewhere under the workbench out of an older 429 we used to have. You have the specs down to a T. At least all the specs that Isky publishes on the came.
    Now for George at Clay Smith. I went by there for the first time with my brother a couple days ago and all I have to say is DAAAAAMMMNN. The guy is extremely informative, knows his stuff cold, and takes a realistic approach.(at least he did when making suggestions to my brother) I'm sure he could help you out with a cam, but how much increase are you hoping to see by just changing out the cam? I'm sure by now you're well aware that for a cam to be most effective, it has to be matched to the rest of the induction system. So since it sounds like your heads are stock, carbueration is on the smaller cfm/lower velocity side, and exhaust is pretty restrictive; going to a big nasty cam might not be the best bet. I would definitely agree with the advice to call George(haven't had any work done by him yet, but would point you there just based of his disposition), but realize that no cam is going to make neck snapping power without attention to other areas that compliment the cam's properties. Good luck with your project. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

beached1
    I don't know shit about this but when I ordered my cam from Dave Crower, I got the custom ground cam, lifters, springs and roller rockers etc all in one kit. So I know they match. All he wanted to know was how heavy of boat, what kind of drive, impeller cut and what kind of peak rpms I was looking for.

Hallett19
    and it came out good beached ?

FoMoCo
    I think that the Cam you have in there is a good start! unless you are going to change other things, like compression and heads at the same time. I am runnin a Comp Cam 280AR Solid roller( .634 lift .020 lash, 236 @ .050 dur and a 110 lobe sep), which works well with my worked over C9VE heads and 11:1 compression, oh ya its in a BBF 429 spinning a B+ impller to 5500 rpms.

superdave013
    I'll toss in another for George @ Clay Smith!
    Not that others are bad or any worse but George will sit you down one on one and talk to you about your needs, expectations and your budget. He is a big time Jet boat guy too. I have used Him for all my engine needs for over 10 years.
    You never know, He might say the one you have is fine and to keep it. You should at least talk to him.
    Tell him Dave Bottomley sent ya and he'll hook you up.

beached1
    Originally posted by Hallett19:
    and it came out good beached ?
    Yes it sure did. But I don't know as much about this stuff as Superdave and the others. They might have better advice for you.

77charger
    TRhose cam specs sound good for an a impeller.Do you have the right springs for them.fords also like the even pattern cams as you have.I'd just get new lifters.

Brendella
    I have a clay smith cam that is 590 lift , put in one alittle smaller haveing it cleaned up at the shop. if interrested give me a buzz.
    I have more info on it will post later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast