Thread: Where to find end grain balsa core?

JAY4SPEED
    I've got a spot in the floor on my SWTD where the through bolt for the tank mount had leaked and soaked the balsa core. I've ground out all the soaked core back to good non soaked wood. I'm ready to lay in new wood, but where do I find 1/4 inch end grain balsa that would match the pattern I already have?
    Thanks
    Jay
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...50DSC02939.JPG

I know of a place here in Glendale AZ that sells it. Matching the old stuff would be pretty hard to do though (I would think). Pretty hard to duplicate 25 years of weathering conditions on resin soaked/coated balsa.
    If you can't find it closer to you, this guy has it. I saw it on the shelf the last time I went to buy my gelcoat.
    Sticky Stuff
    (623) 847-2444
    6880 W Orangewood Ave
    Glendale, AZ 85303
    The owners name is Marvin.

Nucking futs
    I have a place where you can get it. I will post it up when I get home from work.Its on my computer at home.
    Tim

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I know of a place here in Glendale AZ that sells it. Matching the old stuff would be pretty hard to do though (I would think). Pretty hard to duplicate 25 years of weathering conditions on resin soaked/coated balsa.
    If you can't find it closer to you, this guy has it. I saw it on the shelf the last time I went to buy my gelcoat.
    Sticky Stuff
    (623) 847-2444
    6880 W Orangewood Ave
    Glendale, AZ 85303
    The owners name is Marvin.
    DITTO!!!!
    I seen it in that shop and that guy even carries carbon fiber and kevlar. He told me that if balsa get anychnce of water it will rott really bad. I guess that he wasnt lying......

JAY4SPEED
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Tim, I'd appreciate the lead on your vendor. The project is coming along well, almost have the transom wrapped up and the floor seems to be a cinch to repair. Seems that its going to get custom paint before the summer is over.
    Squirtcha - good thing that the area I'm repairing is under the tanks so it isn't that noticable if the color doesn't match well. Thanks for the lead! Some of the places I called already either didn't carry in stock 1/4 inch or was backordered for over a month.
    396 - Yeah, it seems the balsa turns to mush when it gets soaked, I'm not going to go back to through bolts for the tank mounts. The good thing was that it didn't seem to spread as much as you would expect, my repair area is only about 2 foot by 1 foot from 2 leaking through bolts.
    Jay