Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blackhawks

mike
    why did mercury stop making blackhawk drives
    whats wrong with them

HavasuDreamin'
    Don't know why they stopped making them, but I do know that they can't take much more than the stock power they came with...........maybe up to 500HP.
    HD

don johnson
    As I understand it Merc had some safety problems as they adversely affected the handling on most boats. Reason for this was the Blackhawk ran the x dimension up very high to produce gains from the twin prop. What they found was to net positive performance gains the x was being run up so high that you could not turn the boats safely...

TIMINATOR
    At speed they make a cool jetboat-like rooster tail, but there are no more props available, so if you change HP and you need to change pitch..... yer buying TWO of 'em! There is someone in the classifieds selling pairs for I think $2500? or was it $4000? TIMINATOR

jackpunx
    Im pretty sure there is a guy back east with one on a 19' stoker that is running 141mph

don johnson
    Im pretty sure there is a guy back east with one on a 19' stoker that is running 141mph
    I do not think I would want a ride in that boat!!!! I am crazy but not nuts....

jackpunx
    I do not think I would want a ride in that boat!!!! I am crazy but not nuts....
    LOL.. Im pretty sure it has only 1 seat

mike
    pitty mercury marine didnt continue with them it seems like a good concept
    and one that could have been developed further if fuzzy steering at speed was the only major issue

Havasu Hangin'
    Also, the dual props do not like a high-idle shift. Since it is a performance drive...I bet there's not many performance motors that idle below 750 RPMs.

jackpunx
    Also, the dual props do not like a high-idle shift. Since it is a performance drive...I bet there's not many performance motors that idle below 750 RPMs.
    Mine does

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast