Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advise....

RiverOtter
    Long story short I own a lake / river lot in the hottest area of town. Since I bought it 2.5 years ago the neighborhood has taken off like crazy. I can now MORE THAN DOUBLE my investment. Origionally MrsRiverOtter and I were gonna build on it and live happily ever after. Now we're thinking the money would be nice to 1031 into other real estate investments. Plus the cost of construction went from $115/ft to 160+/ft. We were planning on a big house but don't want to be house poor. Any thoughts? Anybody? Beuler? Beuler?

voodoomedman
    Long story short I own a lake / river lot in the hottest area of town. Since I bought it 2.5 years ago the neighborhood has taken off like crazy. I can now MORE THAN DOUBLE my investment. Origionally MrsRiverOtter and I were gonna build on it and live happily ever after. Now we're thinking the money would be nice to 1031 into other real estate investments. Plus the cost of construction went from $115/ft to 160+/ft. We were planning on a big house but don't want to be house poor. Any thoughts? Anybody? Beuler? Beuler?
    First and foremost I would say to think about where you really want to live for primary purposes. Yes of course being house poor is not a good thing so weigh that heavily. Aside from that... your primary house is where you are at all the time and you need to make sure that you and your wife are happy. Happiness is first, Money is second. We have investments and we just bought our vacation house in Havasu but if it meant that we were trapped with the cost then we wouldn't have done it. Although we bought our house new we need something bigger and with a bigger yard as our family is about to start growing. This was a big decision factor. If I couldn't afford to upgrade my house here then there would be no house there. But heck if your not set on living on the lake then make yourself some money so you can really retire when it is time, not just live on social security and be a prisoner of your home and the senior special at denny's.

throwerb
    Sell it all, move your family in with mine and let's get that new E-ticket with the his and HERS windshields :idea: And that senior plate at denny's has always looked good to me.

NashvilleBound
    You should be able to build on it for about $65-90sf. Its easy. If you want to sell the lot let me know and I'll run down and take a peek...besides getting me outta here....

throwerb
    You should be able to build on it for about $65-90sf. Its easy. If you want to sell the lot let me know and I'll run down and take a peek...besides getting me outta here....
    Can I go with you.

NashvilleBound
    I'll wait....could be our first project. We do need to find something to keep YOU outta trouble.....

Phat Matt
    If you think you would make money on just the lot, what do you think it would be worth with a nice house on it? Remember, new houses can be built anywhere, but their are only a finite number of lots.

RiverOtter
    Sell it all, move your family in with mine and let's get that new E-ticket with the his and HERS windshields :idea: And that senior plate at denny's has always looked good to me.
    LMAO!! I have thought of selling it ALL!

RiverOtter
    $65 - $90????? Who the heck charges that? :idea:

RiverOtter
    If you think you would make money on just the lot, what do you think it would be worth with a nice house on it? Remember, new houses can be built anywhere, but their are only a finite number of lots.
    Good point. I have thought of starting a house and see if it sells before I finish. Most likely would in this particular neighborhood.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast