Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake HELP!

tahitijet
    How do i get the intake out of the bottom of my boat? I pulled off the nuts that go all the way around but it is stuck on pretty well.. It looks like there is some some sort of filler of sorts around it.. Is there a trick to getting this thing out of the boat?
    thanks

tahitijet
    anyone?
    thanks

Kwicherbichen
    tahitijet,
    you most definately have your work cut out for you (no pun intended). I have seen people try to get these things out and it's almost impossible. You need to ask someone like Jack McClure, Greg Shoemaker, or Tom Papp. Ask them what they do to get one off.
    Tom Papp www.tompappracing.com (http://www.tompappracing.com)
    Greg Shoemaker www.jettechperformance.com (http://www.jettechperformance.com)
    Jack McClure http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure
    Hope they can help. BTW, get their phone number from their website and call them. It is much quicker and easier. I have found them all to be real helpful.
    Brian

greg shoemaker
    Give me a call at the shop 909 272 6060 I'll see if I can't point you in the right direction. I will say this it can be a real pain. Greg

tahitijet
    Thanks Greg
    I will call tomorrow as soon as I get a chance. I wouldn't even take it out at all but i have to replace the transom and it goes under it as it passes through the hole.. I'm Actually more worried about putting it back in if it's this damn hard to get out it can't be easy to put back in.
    thanks
    P.S. greg is there a preferd time for you so i don't catch you in the busiest part of the day?

beached1
    Hey Tahiti,
    Let us all know what you find out. I'll be doing this also. Just pulled out the engine and pump last sunday.

mister460
    I took mine out with a couple crappy flathead screwdrivers and a floor jack. Modify the screwdrivers any way you need to so you can drive them under the flange of the intake. Then you kinda "scrape" the epoxy putty out. Should come out in chunks. Should. When you think you got all you can, put floor jack under the intake and jack it up. A few scraped knuckles and expletives later the intake should start to move and it will come out. Installing it is as easy as drinking coffee.

ole war horse
    What do you use in the way of sealant when putting the suction bowel back into the haul?
    3-M makes something called "5200" that is
    very good for sealing under water, can something like that can be used?

HammerDown
    From all the research I've done, the best product to ues is SEA GOIN POXY PUTTY H.D. part# 1350HD K3. I'm looking at a quart supply right now...Thats what they used on my 83 Daytona...it was like IRON...hardest S*IT I've ever seen!

restofreak
    I won't give you advice on how to take it out but here is some for putting it back in. When I intalled my Intake, I applied a ton of mold release wax( any carnuba based wax will do) to the flange of the intake. Apply your epoxy paste to the hull, sqeeze your intake into place and let it kick over nite.
    Now undo the nuts and bolts and your intake will pop right out. For final install you'll need just a touch of silicone to seal it. So now the next time you want to remove the intake for any mods it will be much less of a chore to get out. Try it you'll like it!
    RF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast