Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Very disappointed in Eliminator

DUCKY
    Just curious, once again I don't know shiat about boats, but is that what a normal delamination looks like? Shouldn't it be more jagged? I have seen lots of corvettes crashed up and they have jagged edges on the fiberglass. It looks to me that the fiber wasn't impregnated with resin. Just curious, once again I don't know squat about boats but it looks funny to me.
    That is classic delamination that started small. The force of the water under the boat ripped the gelcoat and layers of composite from the boat either where the seams are, or in the corners. The reason a 'vette looks different, is that they are a chopper gun layup, and they use no woven fabric (like a Bayliner), and yes, Corvettes are a dry layup to save weight and material.

superdave013
    Ok Ducky, Now that we all know you have been doing some nice glass work these days please do tell.....
    Is something like that fixable?

Lake Ape
    That is classic delamination that started small. The force of the water under the boat ripped the gelcoat and layers of composite from the boat either where the seams are, or in the corners. The reason a 'vette looks different, is that they are a chopper gun layup, and they use no woven fabric (like a Bayliner), and yes, Corvettes are a dry layup to save weight and material.
    Cool, thanks, I guess you learn something everyday!

mirvin
    Ok Ducky, Now that we all know you have been doing some nice glass work these days please do tell.....
    I bet the answer to that will depend on what may have caused it......like maybe there's some wrotten wood somewhere close by:boxed:
    mirvin

spectras only
    IMHO , that eliminator bottom wasn't beefy enough to stand the newly found power . There was a 24 Campbell in the late 70's ,the owner installed two 427's S/C [ca 2000HP] coupled together inline.Needless to say he ripped the stringers first time out :cry: . Reinforced the hull afterwards :wink:

Jake W2
    You can reglass anything the guestion is will it delam in a nother spot?I have been told by boat builders these boats get dried out and brittel.Then when you reglass it that spot is way stronger than the rest and the problem moves else where.Good luck on a fix for it.
    Jake

DUCKY
    Well, It's an awefully deep subject....
    From the pics, I would say it is, but without seeing the boat in person I can't say for sure. Then there is the cost issue. Depending on the length of the repair, and any other damage to the boat, it may be nearly equal in cost to replace the hull. Once again, I can't say without seeing it in person. I PM'd the owner, we'll see if he calls me. I'm sure Todd over at TRG could do it as well, and he may be closer. River Rat's profile doesn't say where he lives

coolchange
    Reminds me of my brother as he was backin our Dads big block Fury out of the garage. " I just put it in reverse and backed up 2 feet and the drive shaft fell out! No, really Dad! I DIDN"T DO ANYTHING, IT JUST FELL OUT! DAD! DAD!

(Well my old man wrote the letter so it may have come across a bit feistier than that).
    Maybe the tone of that letter is why you are not getting the response you're looking for. :idea:
    Funny I was thinking the same thing.
    Nice request = nice response
    Feisty request = probably not
    just my .02

572Daytona
    The problem in today's society is that a company owner can't just offer his honest opinion without wondering if his words would be used against him in some sort of lawsuit. How does he know that you aren't some PI investigating an injury claim? I'm sure his lawyer would advise him not to make any comment.
    I find it hard to believe that people are taking sides on this issue and jumping to conclusions without all of the facts/information. We have no idea what the original letter said. But I do agree that Eliminator is definitely less interested in talking to older jet/vdrive owners than pleasing their current megabuck 25+ foot i/o crowd. But I think the same could be said for a lot of boat manufactures nowadays.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast