Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morel Lifters and cycle testing. . . .

just got a good tidbit of info from the horses mouth. Morel's hyd. rollers were tested by an independent company in the the business. Test was for 8400 RPM at 5 million cycles. All were perfect. Say's something for their quality.
    Chris

Fiat48
    Sounds like a must have to me. Is there a groove or oiling passage in these to faciliate the idle oiling problems with most other lifters?

Fiat,
    EDM.
    Chris

Moneypitt
    Any particulars, like spring pressure/lift, and lubrication methods??........MP

steelcomp
    What kind of oil were they using for the test? What was the profile of the test cam?? Morel's have always been the chit.

Didn't get the particulars but I would assume at 8400 rpm it was a pretty health camshaft and sufficient spring pressure to keep every going. They will have a totall new lifter design at the show and Ed said he will swing buy and show it to me. Should be a good PRI.
    Chris

steelcomp
    Fiat,
    EDM.
    Chris
    Chris...are you saying do your own, or thet they have been EDM'd in a certain way??

They, Morel, do it inhouse. Oil porting they did in the 80's when build the Buick Indy Lifters.
    Chris

don johnson
    Chris,
    Chris,
    I have a 33 Daytona with 2 Teague 1050HP 572's in it that have hydraulic rollers. The motors are coming out next week for freshening, lost a head gasket on one so it started the process... Here's my question;
    I have been considering switching to a Solid Roller to pick up some HP's while the motors are out, but lifter life issue has kept me from making the move. I spend a lot of extended time idling with these motors. Channel in Havasu and out of Newport harbor etc. Whats you thoughts of the Morel in my application. Money is no object up front but down time is a huge issue with my wife so dependability is a huge issue??? Lastly if I do make a cam change what Valve spring manufacturer and type would you suggest.
    One last question. My motors are currently running 10.5 lbs of boost. I have read some good things about Cometic head gaskets. I currently have Fel Pro's with the stainless fire ring. In my application which would you suggest?
    Thanks for the advice!

Don,
    Morels engineer has had the same set of solid rollers in his car for 10 years. It has around 45K on it. As far as a solid roller living in a marine enviroment the Morels are some of the finest machining and design in our industry. With that said, they're hyd roller is top notch with several companies now using it. . .cam companies that is.
    What I like is a compromise. Run solid rollers on a hyd. roller profile. This gives a power increase over the hyd. lifters, you can use higher spring loads in the 170# range which is much easier on the valvetrain for long idles. A light lash load of 0 is set cold on aluminum heads and when the engine warms it is around 10/12 respectively. Real solid roller are aggressive and some do get away running them, but the above is a good compromise.
    The hyd rollers run about $495 and the solids are about the same.
    You want anyone's spring that is made from Super Clean Chrome Vanadium Steel. This is best indurance material made. Another thing that can be done to springs i Meta-Laxing. This is a vibrational stress relief that greatly inhances spring life. Runs about $5 a spring.
    I don't use Fel-Pro. . .PERIOD. The best gasket ever made was Detroit, but they were bought and the process shut down. I like the Cometic and the SCE composite gaskets. Both work well in Marine applications. The best marine gasket is a guy that retired from McCord, Bob, he makes custom gaskets for some HIGH end marine guys but his stuff runs about $150.00 per gasket, but it is simply the best. Pure graphite layers with stainless and a sealing agent he patented. That's what I use.
    Hope that helps.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast