Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing?

WriedtStuff
    I guess I was just being stupid....but I thought all the water would run out of the block on a Jet Drive since there was no water pump and no restrictions or vacuum to stop it....Well I went out to look at the boat yesterday and the bilge had lots of water in it....SO I took a closer look and noticed water dripping from both sides of the block.... :cry: ....but on closer inspection I found that the freeze plugs had done their job (I think). There was one missing on each side.....SO the question is...how do I get this water out when I store the boat for the winter..
    I was thinking about replacing the lost metal freeze plugs with the rubber (mushrooming type). That way I could take them out in the winter to drain the block.....but will they stay in with the water pressure when I am running the boat?
    Oh, it is Ford 460 Block.

1978 Rogers
    Mine popped out last winter. I had ice coming out of mine even. I keep a trebble light with a 25 watt bulb under the block all winter. After the ice melted from the block I used a shop vac and sucked her dry. I found I had sand in the block that had clock the pep cocks to drain the block. Can you feel and sand inside the block? I don't start up in shallow water anymore.
    Fogging oil is good to spray down the carb while someone turns it over a few times. Spray right in the cylinders also. I've read that some people pour RV water line antifreeze through the block, logs, etc, to keep them from freezing.

R.A.D.man
    You can crack the thermostat housing enouh to let it breathe. I think it acts like a straw with water in it and your finger on top. The block being the straw and the thermostat housing being your finger. Also, after doing that I use compressed air to blow out some more. There is always some left in there in the end so the antifreeze or windshield washer fluid is best if you can circulate it through.

sidewound
    I use an old bilge pump. I fill a 5 gallon bucket with antifreeze, hook the bilge pump to the water inlet and let'er pump till I get anti freeze out of the exhaust. It's worked good so far.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

blowngas
    in a crisis situation, add a bottle of rubbing alcohol to the water in the block-----it has to really get cold before a water/alcohol mixture will freeze

WriedtStuff
    I thought about pumping antifreeze thru the system....but I have injected headers....I guess I will have to somehow block off the line going to the headers so as not to pump antifreeze into the cylinders....any suggestions?

Jordy
    What's winterize???

sidewound
    I thought about pumping antifreeze thru the system....but I have injected headers....I guess I will have to somehow block off the line going to the headers so as not to pump antifreeze into the cylinders....any suggestions?
    Do you have valves on the water supply lines to the headers?
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

HavasuDreamin'
    What's winterize???
    You know when it gets down to like 75 and you have to put a jacket on to go boating. :wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast