Thread: Some general help needed.

Brad88gt
    I have never really been around jet boats, but i am looking to get one. I found a 18ft galaxie, with berkley pump, and new int. Has a 454, that needs rebuilt. It seems to be a decent fixer upper, but what should i look for when checking it out. What is the difference between a marine engine and automotive? I'm sure the engine itself works basically the same, but what is the main difference? Thanks for any help.

Blown509Liberator
    I can't tell ya about galaxie boats but you have a good start with the Chevy engine and the Berkeley pump.The Berkeley insert pumps E and F had one piece bowls the F had a Berkeley "Trim" diverter are the least desirable the B G and C are a good start the B and G will have 2 piece bowl that allow the addition of a droop or wedge where the C with the one Piece will not.
    MikeW

mister460
    Check out the stringers, floor and transom for dry rot. Make sure they're not soft. Watch out for stuff with LOTS of RTV on it. It's usually a bandaid for a big problem. Big cracks in gel coat aren't very cool either. Just look at anything and everything closely. If anything doesn't seem right to you, check into it. Boat motors and car motors? Brass freeze plugs pretty much. Build just like you would a hi-po car engine.

Hallett19
    jet boat motors don't have water pumps, or any accesories and they run at high rpm's all day long, so they have higher tolerances, and water goes through the exhaust, but internally, identical other than the fact you need to put marine flux capacitors in them.

mister460
    Hallet is correct. You also need "One point twenty-one gigawatts(pronounced jigawatt) of electricity!" Or a banana peel!

PipesClean
    Don't forget, if you're running at any of the local lakes with sound limits, you'll need a pair of high strength, high heat muffler bearings