Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spoon or bubble keel q's????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I looked at a boat today and it has a "spoon" built up before the pump intake. It measures approx 3 feet in length. Im just trying to get some thoughs on this as I am in the process to start doing my bottom. thx 396

Wicked Performance Boats
    I believe Jack at MPD told me that a bubble is not really needed now as your hardware can be adjusted to make it as efficent. Budlight

Ken F
    really I don't see why you would need one as your boat is a v-bottom right?
    They will help load the pump, are you haveing trouble with that?
    Also, on a tunnel they will help raise the boat a little higher out of the water, to decrease wetted surface, but on your v-bottom I don't really think this is going to come into play.
    How fast have you got yours running?
    ken F

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    really I don't see why you would need one as your boat is a v-bottom right?
    They will help load the pump, are you haveing trouble with that?
    Also, on a tunnel they will help raise the boat a little higher out of the water, to decrease wetted surface, but on your v-bottom I don't really think this is going to come into play.
    How fast have you got yours running?
    ken F
    Yes ken, I am running a v bottom. The readon I ask is because I was looking at my friends gullwing vbottom yesterday and he has one on his boat. You can see where the water was going by the speedcoat `that was removed. Its not critical that I have one but since I am doing the botton I figured that if it helps then I will add it.
    My boat ran in the 80's with a stock pump last year. I am looking for 90+

Ken F
    Well, I'm certainly not an expert, but thinking about a gullwing and the way they work, they are pretty much semi-air entrapment right? So having a bubble would raise the boat the depth of the bubble on top end, freeing up more of the hull. (probably the outside sponsons)
    On yours, you could raise the boat somewhat, but you would have to really look at some pics of your boat running to see if raising the boat 3/4 or so is going to help that much. follow what I mean?
    Ken F

DEL51
    hello 396, have you seen any of the previos posts by HBJET or other guys that made mods? I think the main thing to know is if your intake is getting enough water. i added a changes to my hull and gained 8mph. you can do this by motor position, intake pressure readings, and rideplate changes. I am assuming you haven't done this already.

Big H
    My boat has one but I have not thoroughly tested it yet. Tom Papp had the boat for a bit and his words were that the bulges are better suited to a tunnel hull boat and not a V-hull. He did not discount that it would or would not help and that depending on hardware and set up hulls act differently even when equipped similarly. My boat is a V-hull boat and won't be in the water until June so I don't know how it will react yet.

Aluminum Squirt
    Hey 396, I'm sure there are some fiberglass guys that know what a spoon is, but all of the fast aluminum boats have them due to not being able to hang anything on the underside of the boat. Go over to the Eagle racing forum, there are plenty of guys in the "know" about spoons. Spoons have always been that one part of a fast aluminum tunnel that is voodoo. Its like some kind of black art that people are always working on. You see guys in the pits putting bondo all over the place. They'll get it all sorted out, hit something that knocks off a chunk of bondo and mysteriously pick up 3 MPH. Somebody over there should be able to answer some questions-Aluminum Squirt

Jordy
    I am looking for 90+
    OK, problem solved. Buy a prop.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    OK, problem solved. Buy a prop.
    Not in this lifetime

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast