Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Prop stuck

flattie
    Well I went to pull my prop off tonight and this bad boy is stuck on there! So tight I bent my I.M.C.O Prop puller which is pretty beefy, Anyone have any tricks to getting the tough ones off? I tried a little heat on the prop and still nothing

fastvdriver
    Try more heat with a little love tap from a metal 5 lb. hammer. It should come off unless you have spun the key way? if that is the case cut shaft and send to RB he can save the prop. Props are more than a shaft!
    good luck :220v:

GofastRacer
    Yep had the same problem from a key half sheared off, had to make this bad boy!. I took a piece of steel round stock and bored it, took the shaft out and put it on a piece of wood, place a hard washer on the prop and used it as slide hammer, bingo one whack and it came off piece of cake!..
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...emover-med.jpg

Moneypitt
    If the key spun in the prop, how can it be saved??............MP

It likely just needs a little more heat. Don't try to muscle it off with the puller (not what the puller is designed to do). heat it, preload the puller then whack the end of the puller with a large hammer. Leave the nut threaded on loose so you don't have to head to the hospital later to get the prop removed from your forehead. Good luck.

GofastRacer
    Yep but sometimes that don't work either!.. :wink:

steelcomp
    If the key spun in the prop, how can it be saved??............MP
    My guess is that the key would shear, leaving the halves in their respective grooves. Sheared surface of the key might score the shaft and prop a little, but I doubt it would be ruined. Now if the two spun fast enough to weld themselves together, thet would be a different story.
    Slide hammer was a great idea. Hitting it on that end spreads the taper a little, and, POP!

scottys
    Yep had the same problem from a key half sheared off, had to make this bad boy!. I took a piece of steel round stock and bored it, took the shaft out and put it on a piece of wood, place a hard washer on the prop and used it as slide hammer, bingo one whack and it came off piece of cake!..
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...emover-med.jpg
    I taperd one end of the round stock for clearance.Works every time.

Ex PSI Canyon
    Try Dirveenershlichten ,works for me everytime!

Schiada76
    When mine was stuck I left the puller on overnight, after heating and lots of penetrating oil. Came out the next morning and the first hammer whack popped it off. :hammerhea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast