Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel filter or fuel/water separator?

Not Twice
    Part of the winter project is rebuilding the fuel delivery system, tanks have been removed and cleaned, new sending units, gage, fuel pump and –8 fuel lines. I want to add fuel filters but I see that they offer fuel filters or separators. Does a fuel/water separator act as a filter also? What are some of the types of setups that others are running?

victorfb
    im useing the water seperator only, but its allways a good idea to have another filter. i would definatly suggest the water seperator though.

Not Twice
    Thanks Vic,
    Are you running a single or duel tank system? If duel, are you running one filter per tank or 2 tanks into one filter?
    Greg

Taylorman
    Im running dual tanks, one Raycor filter/seperator, then into the fuel pump.I have to empty the water out of my seperator after every boat outing. Its a must imo. I got mine at West Marine.

Not Twice
    Talorman,
    Are you running a fuel valve and if so is it before the filter?

mevale
    Just picked this up from Eddie Marine; running ½ lines from saddle fuel tanks whit ½ ball valves.
    Joehttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2143filter-med.jpg

R.A.D.man
    When I did mine, I checked the micron filtration rating of the water fuel separator and found it to be 35 microns (best I can remember). Some fuel filters go into the single digits as far as micron filtration. I just went with the 35 micron water fuel separator and have had no problems. The Mercruiser line of separators is what I looked into.

Duane HTP
    I use a lot of the Perma-Cool units. They work well.
    Jeg's part # 771-81794. $35.99 direct from Jegs. 1-800-345-4545

MudPumper
    I run a 2 tanks into one Mercruiser water seperating filter. I remove the filter and drain all the gas into a plastic bag, to see if there is water, every other trip and am always amazed at how much water is in the fuel.

victorfb
    i run two saddle tanks, ball valves at each tank, equal length lines to the seperator/filter, short single line to pump (electric), and a by pass regulator at the carb. all -8 line. had only one return line but will have one to each tank this season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast