Thread: 1974 flat bottom I.D. question

speedaddict
    Hello,
    I have a 1974 "MC" flat bottom with a 390 ford, and toploader casale. It has a wood dash board, and an old homeade trailer. I was told they were made in Washington by a small outfit. When I registered it here in oregon, my title came back as a manufacturer as "mcfaltable". Have any of you heard of these? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bryan

Check with PrimitivePete or Sanger72, they are pretty knowledgeable about boats in that area and are great guys.

72 superlite
    If I remember right, MC stood for Muffler City. They were made in somebodies muffler shop in the Seattle area. I would question the year of your boat. I have a 1968 Race Boat and Industry News that has 2 pics of MC hull racing at Lake Sammamish. They look very similar to yours. What happened alot was a boat wasn't licensed until it was ready for the water, or when an exracer became somebodies ski boat, and it seems the state would title the hull with the year registration was applied for. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me, but heres an example, My '72 Sanger is registered as a '77, because it was a race boat and not registered, until someone bought it from my dad, and made it a ski boat. Give me your email address and I'll shoot you the pics from 1968. I'll also call my dad tommorrow and double check my info.

speedaddict
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

72 superlite
    Talked to dad and here is what I found out. MC boats were built in Lynnwood, Wa., by Keith Jacobson. He is not sure, says they may have been built into the mid 70's. If yours is a 74, it should have the HIN on the outside transom, as I think this was a Coast Guard requirement about this time. They had a couple of factory boats that campaigned in the NW, one of which was "Super Samurai" a Blown Fuel Flatbottom, with center steering. It was 21' long and ran in the 130's. This boat was driven by Gary Jacobson( no relation). Also out of this stable was the ill fated "Manta Ray" that Chuck Skaggs lost his life in. Dad also remembers a pretty competitive SS boat driven by Ronnie Franz. This boat had a laminated wood tralier that was "real trick". (probably still out there somewhere) MC also made a 16-17 foot outboard and the "Mustang", a 20 or 21 foot lowprofile skiboat, with a windshield, and covered engine.
    Rick

CircleJerk
    speedster: Yes you have a AMC (American Muffler Center) . I had one that I robbed the trailer and prop from. Eticket now has the trailer under his Barron.... You have the complete package of boat and AMC trailer. They are neat lightweight trailers easy to move by hand! Your boat is pretty rare and I am told started life with a Howard spashed bottom and home made deck (hense the wood dash). It's a rare looking deck except there are some rayson craft similarities in the side rails. You have braces that run from the deck down to the floor that stiffen the light sides. I am told they were a good all around boat with success at the drags and circle racing. My amc also came from Oregon with a 396 and Hallcraft v-drive. Your boat looks real good and I would welcome you to join us in Issaquah Wa. June 11 for our opening race and show event. Surely the crowd will have many folks that remember Mr Jacobson and his home grown low profile flats. The boats sold better than mufflers and he made a larger boat manufacturing plant when the muffler shop became too small, as I am told. Superlights Dad would be the man in the know. Rick, didnt they borrow your Dads Howard to splash the bottom? Who had the fast Ford powered one in Seattle and may still have it? Jackson would know, he probably got SPANKED by it. I personally wish I had mine back to see if it really turns! Oh, its for sale again for 1500 less power. Welcome to the boards and dont be afraid to PM me for any questions or used parts. Boyd the jErK

CircleJerk
    [QUOTE=72 superlite SS boat driven by Ronnie Franz. .
    Rick[/QUOTE]
    Ronnie Franz, I think I met him at Phoenix but never heard of him till now. Wow, I could have gotten educated, is he still in the Northwest?

speedaddict
    Thanks a bunch for all the info. I'm actually going to need to sell the boat, as I already purchased my Sanger. The floor and stringers of the MC are in great shape, the paint is fair, but was a home done job by a previous owner. There are pretty large stress cracks in the rear corners of the deck. I'm not sure if it would make sense to grind it down, repair it, then repaint, or not. The wood dash is also in need of replacement as well. What do you guys think a fair asking price is, as is? vs. fixing the stress cracks and the dash?
    Here are a couple better pictures:

72 superlite
    [QUOTE=72 superlite SS boat driven by Ronnie Franz. .
    Rick
    Ronnie Franz, I think I met him at Phoenix but never heard of him till now. Wow, I could have gotten educated, is he still in the Northwest?[/QUOTE]
    ?????????