Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BoatCop Talk: What's the Dealio on New Teak Surfing Laws?

Flying Tiger
    Alan, What's your take?
    Has/Is Arizona enacting any new laws like Calif concerning it?
    How do you deal with it?
    I won't allow it on my boat, but we hang in a circle of friends that do.

Wet Dream
    Google a search on it or even do a search in here and pull up the stories of deaths and pass it out to your friends.

91nordic29
    i still dont get this "teak surfing law" crap. there is already a law in most states that you cannot be hanging outside the boat while underway or when motor is on. people talk about the dangers of carbon monoxide... what about the flippin propellor?? common sense people!!! For cryin out loud, even a ski/tow rope has to be a minimum length.DUH!
    PS, TPC, not flaming you.
    i just wonder why a law is needed in the first place. oh, is it illegal to put you hand in the garbage disposal?

jdogginla
    I wasn't sure what teak surfing was..........so I looked it up. What kind of brainiac would hang onto the back of running boat! One would think that a prop would hurt alot!@%$@# :hammer2:

Boatcop
    California's teak surfing (or more accurately, teak "dragging") law wasn't needed and was nothing more than a knee jerk reaction from the legislators to make them feel like they were doing something worthwhile.
    The practice is already illegal under the Careless, Reckless, Negligent laws that every State has. Any boat operation that has the potential to cause injury to persons or damage to property falls into this category.
    I would write someone up, or maybe even arrest them, for teak dragging in a heart beat. And it WOULD stand up in court since there is substantial data that proves that such operation kills people.
    If we had specific laws outlining every prohibited or unsafe practice, the law books would read like the King James Bible.
    Arizona may follow California and add teak dragging to the list of prohibited acts, but the absence of such a law doesn't make doing it legal.

Flying Tiger
    California's teak surfing (or more accurately, teak "dragging") law wasn't needed and was nothing more than a knee jerk reaction from the legislators to make them feel like they were doing something worthwhile.
    The practice is already illegal under the Careless, Reckless, Negligent laws that every State has. Any boat operation that has the potential to cause injury to persons or damage to property falls into this category.
    I would write someone up, or maybe even arrest them, for teak dragging in a heart beat. And it WOULD stand up in court since there is substantial data that proves that such operation kills people.
    If we had specific laws outlining every prohibited or unsafe practice, the law books would read like the King James Bible.
    Arizona may follow California and add teak dragging to the list of prohibited acts, but the absence of such a law doesn't make doing it legal.
    I have printed several copies of your reply,, and will distribute them to the kids on the boat when the suggestion comes up,, and to my circle of friends.
    It's the final word in my book.

HCS
    Ya. do a search. It's assnine. :hammerhea

burtandnancy
    you can't outlaw STUPIDITY

Havasu_Dreamin
    It's a stupid activity and those that continue to engage in it can suffer the consequences with no sympathy.

Sleek-Jet
    you can't outlaw STUPIDITY
    ...no, but they are trying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast