Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets in Hot boat mag

RiverDave2
    Bense468, the largest forum on ***boat.net is not the jet section anymore.. ***boats Hotspots is bigga.
    As far as why there is not more coverage? It would seem that the rest of the world just caught on to a better method of propulsion! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif j/k (I'm just joking guys relax...)
    I would think that part of the reason there is not more coverage is becuase nothing EVER changes with jets.. Since the place diverter has there been any REAL significant design improvements?
    With I/O's there coming out with something every year.. I.E. counter rotating, Hydraulic steering, transmissions, different nose cones etc.. etc...
    I guess what I'm trying to say is kinda the same thing you said above.. How many Big Boats can you test? How many jets can you test with one of three brands of jets?
    just my .02..
    RD

RiverToysJas
    HD & RD, With all due respect, You both seem to be more or less stuck on where the market is. The problem you're refering to the new boat market. Where is the market right now for used boats? 18'-20' jet sure don't seem to sit on the market for very long. I know that the $$$ is in new boats and Hot Boat is directed mainly at the new boat market. Of course they showing long and expensive boats, that IS where the new boat market is at. Some of us are saying, F@#$ the new boat market, we are the used & classic boat market demographic. We are strong in numbers. You can sell ads in a classic boat magazine for things other than new boats. Engine shops, paint/gel, trailer repairs, pump & drive shops are all still fair game in a mag of this type. Even new boats ads could be in there, but the reviews and articles would be nearly exclusively devoted to the classics.
    Now if I keep this up, I just may need to make River Toys the Magazine in addition to Rivertoys the website!
    RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Havasu_Dreamin
    Jason, I think Dave and I are stuck on the currnet market because that is what Hot Boat has decided to dedicate their tests to and gear it's magazine towards. Could they add stuff about the classic jet boat?, of course, should they?, probably since, as you have said, there is a market for this type of boat. Especially at the entry level.
    However, until they, Hot Boat, see a business reason to change the content of the magazine, they won't? Now, if they started losing subscriptions due to the fact that they don't cover the classic jet boat, well, there is your business reason for a change.
    Personally, I think Dave is waiting for a new special edition Hot Boat mag titled "Hot Boat - Dedicated to Prop Forward Outdrives!" http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif Sorry Dave, couldn't resist.
    HD

rivercrazy
    The basic reason for O/D coverage is all the boat builders want to produce larger and larger boats. This precludes the use of jets due to weight & bottom design.
    Boat manufacturers make a hell of a lot more money making the larger boats. Go out and look and the prices of a 21 versus 24-26 footer. Their raw material and labor costs are not much different between a 21' and a 25'. However the selling price usually doubles along with their profit!
    This profit is reinvested into advertising and ***boat and most other mags out there will cover the larger boats because that's what their advertisers want and pay for.
    Because larger boats with O/D's are hot, popular, and trendy, more and more consumers buy em. Having the biggest and baddest is a disease.... I got it like everyone else. hehe http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

RiverDave2
    Well you gotta look at it this way as well.. It's pretty dam hard to run a "universal" test on a jet as well. From what I've been told each mfg has there own version of A, AA, B etc.... Then you have lose pumps, tight pumps, (and my all time favorite) "Massaged Pumps" http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif etc.. etc... With a prop it's 22' a certain amount of slip (that's easily figured out) makes for easier testing.. I think it would be pretty easy to "cheat" on those tests as well.. As in Having a certain impeller in there that wouldn't be from the factory.. Who's gonna know? or even just clean up the factory one.. etc.. etc... Too much fun stuff for one mag.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
    RD
    [This message has been edited by RiverDave2 (edited January 02, 2002).]

rivercrazy
    Ahh come on RD. Most of the prop manufacturers don't have consistent measurements of the props either. Its also pretty hard to tell if a props been rewored or lab finished if its done right also.
    I'll admit that most props are faster than jets. (But not out of the hole though!)

MrHavasuCat
    I have to say that in Havasu you don't see as many jets as you used to. I think it is a shrinking market. I had a 21 daytona jet that I bought new in 1996 and have since stepped up to a 26' cat with an outdrive. Most of my friends have done the same. I think the outdrive just offers better performance overall than a jet does. I still think that there is a market for jets, it is just getting smaller.
    Rivercrazy,
    You can definitely tell a labbed prop from a non labbed prop. The blades are much thinner and very sharp.
    [This message has been edited by MrHavasuCat (edited January 02, 2002).]

77charger
    hot boat has turned into powerboat in ,y opinion.I remember the first time i saw a hot boat mag and i was thrilled because ther were articles on jets and v drives.And even 19-21'i/o type family -performance boats.now its 25' and up ocean liners that cost 60k and up.

rivercrazy
    I agree 77. Pretty soon its just going to be geared toward offshore racing with some cookie cutter boat tests thrown in for good measure.
    To some degree, I understand that tests with an O/D are more standardized. After all O/D's are monopolized by one entity! Too bad too. They are a hell of a lot less incentivized to do R&D.
    Havasu isn't the only place to boat. Its great and fun, but jets are still needed in many other waterways for dependability sake at least.

RiverDave2
    I ain't buyin that dependabillity BS... Maybe shallow water but that's about it.. As far as dependabillity guys with jets are always tweakin something.. Ole Mercruiser is fire it up and go.. Only when you get into EXTREME horsepower situations is the dependabillity of an Outdrive comprimised..
    Now back to the topic at hand, why are there so few jets in ***boat? I see them in there every now and again, didn't they just do a couple or write ups on Ultra's with jets?
    RD

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast