Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AT impeller matching?

Duane HTP
    I have very little, as these tests were run before I had made my Qwik Data System portable for testing.

kojac
    Thanks Duane. Here's the numbers...
    Engine Dyno run B:
    http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/DuaneDyno.jpg
    Notice corrected power is similar (in the 900's) to Cyclone's as well as peak power rpm.
    Here ya go Kojac, top speed and rpm's:
    http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/DuaneSpeed.jpg
    Duane tested with his lake jet and verified speed by GPS and Nordskog speedo. The impellers were race-prepped. There was a tell-tale tach in the boat matched to computer data aquisition. Duane, if I've mis-quoted anything, please correct me.
    Analysis:
    First, notice the rpm change from Aggressor AA to A. +500 rpm.
    I graphed impeller curves (maybe will post them later) to the dyno data adjusting for engine output power and estimated +450 rpm...close to test results. Yes, an Aggressor impeller's not the same as an American Turbine impeller. But consider Berkeley AA to A at the same power....impeller curves say 400 rpm. Consider also Legend AA to A at the same power...impeller curves say +380 rpms. Then consider Dominator impeller curves near the same power...+300 rpms. AT curves say over 450 rpm gain...similar to Duane's test data. So based on Duane's data and impeller curves from several different mfgs including American Turbine, I'd expect WAY more than a 150 rpm gain going from an AT AA to A reported by Cyclone. That's why I commented on that point.
    Not challenging Cyclone, just questioning why his data on the AA to A is significantly different than other published results. There's stuff we don't know. There's stuff we don't account for. Then there's stuff we could know and account for if we took the time to think and understand.
    Second, notice the impeller size for top speed. Was it bigger is better AT 9.5 or even Aggressor AA? No. In fact, if you look closely at the data, although the Aggressor A tested recorded top speed, an A- or A/B cut may've done better. Hard to say. But clearly, the big cut was short by about 10 mph. That's significant.
    Finally consider, test data no matter who does the test, and impeller curves, no matter who presents those curves...both are subject to question. Does that mean we throw out one or the other? No. Just approach with an open mind. The point is not to dismiss either as bogus but to understand why a difference?
    jer
    Jer, Thanks,
    I agree with you after looking at the dyno charts it appears that the horsepower and torque stop making maximum power at 6400 rpms and an a/b cut impellar may have put the pump at the sweet spot at about 6100 rpms and produced more top speed.
    It would be nice to have been able to try an a/b cut impellar to see if this is true.
    Great input from everybody.
    Thanks to Duane for the data he produced.
    I think this kind of input is critical for those of us looking for the most efficiency in our boats.
    Were there any other changes made during the testing of each impellar. i.e. Nozzles, loaders, wedges, plates? If not I think at least the nozzle changes would have made significant changes due to bowl and intake pressures changes. I would think that at these different rpm's the pressures had to be different?
    So much to think about hmm.
    Kojac

Duane HTP
    NO other changes were made during the impeller testing. I'm sure there is some to be gained there on some of the combinations, but we did not want to confuse the results of the impeller cut testing.

LVjetboy
    Bp posted: "ok, i'll bite.. how fast was the boat going with the a impeller, at 5400 rpm?"
    Duane just recorded top speed as far as I know. But I wouldn't be surprised if his jet ran close to 90 mph with an Aggressor A at 5400 rpm. Why do you ask?
    Toad polumsky posted: "The AA impeller used in the article was cut to 9.000 O.D. to fit a Berkeley bowl. And the diameter of the blade on the back end was cut to 7.812 at 25 degrees."
    Which means the largest impeller tested by Cyclone actually fell somewhere between an AA and A cut. Not a true American Turbine AA as reported. Explains some of the rpm delta shortfall. Maybe 50-100 rpm's with 3/32 off the front side compared to an AA? Not sure that accounts for the additional 200-300 rpm drop predicted by AT's impeller curves, but not seen by Cyclone during testing.
    Cyclone posted: "I really don't think that 20 hp (on the dyno, not the lake) is going to make a measurable difference. I've tested other parts on other motors that added 15-20 hp on the dyno and once the motor went back into the boat and hit the water, there wasn't a lick of difference in terms of top speed or acceleration."
    Makes sense to me Mike. "Measurable" the key word especially with 900+ hp. Variations in DA and other test conditions hard to account for and may eat up (or exaggerate) a 2% power change? I'm thinking ya. But other things equal, in the simplified world where some underlying truth may be discovered before the haze of reality sets in...20 hp should be good for about 50 rpm's and 1-1.5 mph with a hull like yours or mine. Just trying to focus through the haze maybe see some nugget of truth.
    Duane posted: "Jer, it would be interesting to see you add these numbers to your chart for comparison"
    http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/Update.jpg
    Thanks for the info Duane. Interesting results. As usual you seem to be one of the few testing new ideas in jet technology and sharing results. I appreciate that. Just wondering, when you tested the new bowl did you recheck baseline numbers with the old bowl spacing for any of the impeller cuts under the same conditions? Rpm loss may indicate improved efficiency, but speed numbers depend on so many factors...without back-to-back testing hard to compare?
    jer

cyclone
    Bp posted: "ok, i'll bite.. how fast was the boat going with the a impeller, at 5400 rpm?"
    Duane just recorded top speed as far as I know. But I wouldn't be surprised if his jet ran close to 90 mph with an Aggressor A at 5400 rpm. Why do you ask?
    Toad polumsky posted: "The AA impeller used in the article was cut to 9.000 O.D. to fit a Berkeley bowl. And the diameter of the blade on the back end was cut to 7.812 at 25 degrees."
    Which means the largest impeller tested by Cyclone actually fell somewhere between an AA and A cut. Not a true American Turbine AA as reported. Explains some of the rpm delta shortfall. Maybe 50-100 rpm's with 3/32 off the front side compared to an AA? Not sure that accounts for the additional 200-300 rpm drop predicted by AT's impeller curves, but not seen by Cyclone during testing.
    Cyclone posted: "I really don't think that 20 hp (on the dyno, not the lake) is going to make a measurable difference. I've tested other parts on other motors that added 15-20 hp on the dyno and once the motor went back into the boat and hit the water, there wasn't a lick of difference in terms of top speed or acceleration."
    Makes sense to me Mike. "Measurable" the key word especially with 900+ hp. Variations in DA and other test conditions hard to account for and may eat up (or exaggerate) a 2% power change? I'm thinking ya. But other things equal, in the simplified world where some underlying truth may be discovered before the haze of reality sets in...20 hp should be good for about 50 rpm's and 1-1.5 mph with a hull like yours or mine. Just trying to focus through the haze maybe see some nugget of truth.
    Duane posted: "Jer, it would be interesting to see you add these numbers to your chart for comparison"
    http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/Update.jpg
    Thanks for the info Duane. Interesting results. As usual you seem to be one of the few testing new ideas and sharing results. I appreciate that. Just wondering, when you tested the new bowl did you recheck baseline numbers with the old bowl spacing for any of the impeller cuts under the same conditions? Rpm loss may indicate improved efficiency, but speed numbers depend on so many factors...without back-to-back testing hard to compare?
    jer
    I really dont see 20 hp on the dyno giving you 1-1.5 mph at the lake. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

LVjetboy
    "I really dont see 20 hp on the dyno giving you 1-1.5 mph at the lake. Possible, yes. Likely, no."
    Two parts to that.
    First, does 20 hp on the dyno give you 20 hp on the lake? Not a given of course, but I'm thinking not unlikey. Sure the power curve shifts down if you're comparing dyno corrected power to lake power in our clime and elevation. But if peak power doesn't shift radically up or down the rpm scale based on DA, then a vertical shift in the power curve means both more power on the dyno and more power at the lake. And I'm guessing close to the same magnitude for the same impeller cut.
    Second, if you accept a 20 hp dyno change gives (about) a 20 hp lake change, but challenge 20 hp gives 1-1.5 mph for jets like yours and mine? I've got plenty examples to back that up...including some less efficient than ours.
    jer

cyclone
    "I really dont see 20 hp on the dyno giving you 1-1.5 mph at the lake. Possible, yes. Likely, no."
    Two parts to that.
    First, does 20 hp on the dyno give you 20 hp on the lake? Not a given of course, but I'm thinking not unlikey. Sure the power curve shifts down if you're comparing dyno corrected power to lake power in our clime and elevation. But if peak power doesn't shift radically up or down the rpm scale based on DA, then a vertical shift in the power curve means both more power on the dyno and more power at the lake. And I'm guessing close to the same magnitude for the same impeller cut.
    Second, if you accept a 20 hp dyno change gives (about) a 20 hp lake change, but challenge 20 hp gives 1-1.5 mph for jets like yours and mine? I've got plenty examples to back that up...including some less efficient than ours.
    jer
    The first part of your answer is what we are dealing with.

steelcomp
    http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/DuaneSpeed.jpg
    I had a B cut AT impeller I was spinning 6200 and running ~97. I had smoothed and blended my bowl with a little cartridge roll work, but nothing major. I see that Duane's combination was spinning a B 6300 for 94.6 mph. What I don't understand is that at 6300 rpm, Duane's engine is making 898.2/ 748.8. My motor is somewhere in the 650 hp range. Then I had MPD do a rework on my B, and was told it now acts more like an A. We also flowed my bowl. At Ming, in bad air, it turned 5500, and went 93.2. I see that an AA, at 100 rpm less, gave Duane basically the same speed. Good air, I'm thinking I could get 5700, maybe 5750, putting me back in the ~94 mph range, with a much better hole shot. (Impeller's more effecient)
    I'm not sure what to gather from these changes. They don't seem to compare to these charts as far as HP/ RPM/ Cut. I guess I could cut my impeller again, but that seems to be going backwards. Then by virtue of it's dimensions it would be a B/C, but act like a B, letting my motor spin a little higher, but what would I gain? If I could make a little more power and spin it 5900 like Duane, I might be at about the same 101 mph, but at 5900, his motor is making 847 hp, and that means I would need almost 200 hp more, according to your chart. Yet, at 6200-6300 there's a 240+ HP delta between out motors, which, if I plug in here, I should be able to turn my modified B a lot higher than 5700. Of course I can't just blantantly plug in the delta for my motor, since I have NO idea what my motor makes at 5500 or 5700, but nothing here seems to jive.

flat broke
    Steelcomp,
    The reason nothing seems to jive is 1. your impeller is different than what you would find on the AT charts because of the work that's been done to it. And 2. your motor very likely has a different powerband than Duanes. Those two factors make drawing correlations between the two setups worthless. I you had a dyno sheet on your motor and Duane's motor, you could start to correlate some differences but even those would be crude estimations.
    What you're trying to figure out is exactly what I'm trying to figure out with regards to my impeller... How fast will I go if I cut it down? Maybe LV will get back to me on the thread I started about using the JPC to figure this out. That little program has been dead nuts on other predictions of speed with HP increase, but this time I know the HP and need to know how an impeller change would effect my speed.
    One thing to think about for you, while cutting your impeller down a little might give me a mph or two up top, what will it do to your holeshot. I'm guessin that's as important to you as top speed, so make sure to temper your quest for more mph with an eye on your acceleration.
    Chris

Duane HTP
    Jer, It was under very similar conditions, but No, I did not.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast