Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polishing

BrendellaJet
    What do you use to polish aluminum? Ive used sandpaper in stages up to 1500 and can still see some mild scratches form the sandpaper. Anyone know a good place in Anaheim to get supplies?

Devilman
    Never used the Wenols, but I've used Mother's to get fine scratches out of my polished wheels every now & then. Takes a little elbow grease unless you've got a buffer. Liquid jewelers rouge works pretty good too, if you can find it.

BrendellaJet
    Ive been using mothers with a buffing wheel, looks okay, but I would like it to look like I paid to have it done....

Devilman
    I always swear up and down "I've gotta get a buffer!" but never really found one I thought suitable. What kind do have? I'd be polishing wheels mainly. Sure would save the fingers a beatin'! One thing is, a cold beer feels that much better in that wore out hand!!

One of the guys I work with got into polishing a few years back. Bought a kit from Eastwood. After doing some small parts and a Mopar auto trans, he swore he would NEVER do it again. Way too messy. Way more work than he figured. Couldn't talk him into doing my motor plates either, the bastard.
    Your polishing problem is that after all the sanding, you still have several stages of compounding/polishing before you will get the shine you want. You cant just go from the sanding to shine in one step. Check out Eastwood.com for kits and info.

superdave013
    There is someone selling all the compounds and some wheels at the Long Beach Swapmeet. The next one is this Sunday.

Anyone tried "Flitz"? I'm getting tired of polishing the magnesium on the roadster, and that buffing ball they have looks like it could save me hours!

moneysucker
    Go another few steps on the sand paper, up to 2000 or 2500. Get the wheel from harbor freight. It will be the best 60 you ever spent. Make sure you bolt it down though. I had it chase up my rail kit and burn the crap out of my arm as it buffed the skin off. I use Romero's Polishing in El Cajon (san Diego) They are the bomb. I have stuff there right now as a matter of fact. They do chrome and de anodizing I had all my aliminum stripped and polished by them.

Unchained
    I got a used buffing jack with a vacuum last year for $ 75 and have used it a lot since I got it.
    I found that I if I sanded down to 600 grit that the wheel and proper compounds will buff it up good from there. I got two buffing compound sticks from a local supplier and they work good. One's black and greasy, the other one's white.
    It's a messy and tiresome job.
    Holding a big piece against the pull of the wheel is a chore.
    Your arms feel like noodles after a while.
    I just did a major rework on my intercooler box and am ready to buff it out.
    I can hardly wait..........
    I found that the Mothers polish only would work to repolish something that had already been polished before.

moneysucker
    I got a used buffing jack with a vacuum last year for $ 75 and have used it a lot since I got it.
    I found that I if I sanded down to 600 grit that the wheel and proper compounds will buff it up good from there. I got two buffing compound sticks from a local supplier and they work good. One's black and greasy, the other one's white.
    It's a messy and tiresome job.
    Holding a big piece against the pull of the wheel is a chore.
    Your arms feel like noodles after a while.
    I just did a major rework on my intercooler box and am ready to buff it out.
    I can hardly wait..........
    I found that the Mothers polish only would work to repolish something that had already been polished before.
    I use blue magic or Flitz for final polishing. It has a wax that protects the metal that Mothers does not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast