Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Beware all DNE customers

sdpm
    they're rfe sportsman heads and sportsman intake, same as mine. spdm, it is a dan olson pan, same as mine, and yes, that is a dipstick that is marked, same as mine, that does show oil level, which is what lv was referring to when he mentioned breaking out the 9/16....
    Hi BP, I thought LV was asking the question and Taylor was the one talking about the 9/16? I could be wrong! I think I was once before. But I'm picking up what your throwing down!! See ya soon.

LVjetboy
    sdpm, you had to read my quote of rtj in that post about no dipstick from DNE...and consider my usual sarcasm. Yes, I know very well where my dipstick is thankyou! I thought maybe rtj's friends didn't so I took the picture.

And no jokes about how long it is.

jer

wrightnow
    As long as the attention of the DNE crowd is focused here, can someone tell me how an engine builder can release a new motor to a client w/o a dip stick, or any way to check the oil level in the motor?
    I personally know first hand two people with DNE motors that have no dip stick, and Dave told them this is not a problem. One of the motors is in a 23' cruiser.
    This goes against all I know. A visual instection of the oil can tell you so much about the motor, not to mention the obvious level of the oil. How would you know if you're milkshaking?
    I don't understand, please help me!
    RTJas
    I would be one of those customer, it's a race pan DNE got for me and I was not aware until after the motor was installed that there is no dip stick...

Danhercules

And no jokes about how long it is.

jer
    Ok, but can we joke on how skinny it is?

diggler
    I just wanted to leave some feedback here. I had talked to numerous folks that had engines built by DNE, and then I talked with Dave Ebbert himself. I am currently well underway in the build. After reading this thread and having some misgivings, I can honestly say I now feel very confident with DNE building the engine at the written price quoted, and delivered around the date he had promised.
    Dave had a lot of calls over the past few days as a result of this thread. Being a new customer, and meeting Dave for the first time I have this reaction.... He is just like any other businessman. If you get everything in writing, there is no question or hassles to go through. He was up front about everything with me and I truly believe him to be a stand up guy that will deliver exactly what he promises.
    Sure, sure, the build was a little more than I expected. However, with the written quote and the approximate date of delivery, I have plenty of time to make personal financial arrangements OR I could tell him to not do a few things to lower the price. I opted to go whole hog with mine.
    I just wanted to provide this feedback for those existing customers such as I, or potential ones. Keep all the t's crossed and the i's dotted and everything will be fine. (just as you would with any other large expenditure).

ROZ
    it's a race pan DNE got for me and I was not aware until after the motor was installed that there is no dip stick...
    Be glad you didn't... That was a $ 999.99 option

LVjetboy
    "I opted to go whole hog with mine."
    I know the feeling. Back when I was having Jack do some pump work and I first met Dave, I ask him, "how much for another 100 hp?" He gave me a number and I remember thinking, no sweat, I can afford that. Things sorta snowballed from there. I got greedy...and it turned into, "how much to double my power?" On dock not pump gas please. Thinking back even though it was a $$ stretch, I'm REALLY glad I went whole hog. The ride's freakin' unbelievable! And that compared to my former 80 mph jetboat.
    So what's he building for you? Any details?
    jer

bruleracer
    "1. Is my final build date in potential jeopardy (DNE history of being late?)"
    Consider as you said, a "target" date. For my build, RFE sent the heads with steel instead of alloy seats. Had to be shipped back to Ohio for the right seats. Other delays I caused by changing my mind mid-build eventually leading to a missed dyno slot, which bruleracing can tell you...more delay to reschedule. Not saying yours will be late just my experience.
    "2. Is my final invoice going to be greater than my written quote?"
    Mine was close, the difference because I changed blocks between written and final.
    "3. Any other issues?"
    I wouldn't pif until tested and delivered. If you do the dyno, try to relax, kick back and enjoy. Order a pizza, tell Steve and Dave hi for me. I'm sure they remember me pacing around saying, "Isn't that enough pulls? Please don't hurt my engine!" Now I wished we'd run it a few more pulls and tested w/o the mufflers.
    Oh ya and another DNE Beast...
    http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/WestechOne.jpg
    http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/DNEBeast.jpg
    Dyno tested with 89 Octane! 9.8:1 Compression...
    jer
    hey jer,yes i do remember the pacing,, but if it wont live here it wont live there,,i guess it still lives there!!!,like most DNE dyno sessions we all learn. Dave has knowledge yet untapped, but if you ask him, i would bet he'd say he's still learning too. true professionalls are always on the learning curve,,or there not true professionals
    sayin hi steve

LVjetboy
    Steve, yep still livin' and livin' large. Ran last weekend maybe again Saturday on Mead...forecast 68 deg winds calm!
    Ya!
    jer

What,...no more drama??? that was some good readin! :cry: