Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware all DNE customers

pebo
    Hey Mark, just a question. Did DNE give you a written quote before preceading on your rebuild? And is this the motor you ran last year at Big River?

wrightnow
    i will have to agree with sangerD when it comes to building it yourself. alot of satifaction and the learning is extremely valuable. there are many people and even more awsome books that will give you step by step instructions. asking a local machine shop for advice is allways a good way to get quality info. just dont think youll be able to go to the big time builders and think they will give out their secrets, if you want to call them that. a properly set up motor is definatly a must for your application, but its not that big of a secret on how to build them. one of the best ways to get the correct info is asking the manufacturer of the parts your installing. ask them how you should set the cam up when buying one. ect ect ect. now not everyone has the time nor the skills so in some instances it is a must to find a reputable builder. at that point get EVERYTHING in writing. a signed contract is your only proof when it comes to the law. once you show a signed contract to the builder that wants to get more money from you they will useually back off since they know they will lose in court. its a shame you had a rough goround with DNE, ive heard nothing but good about them. and ive never dealt with them either so i cannot comment on thier buisness. i just hope it all works out for you both and maybe both learn something from the experience. good luck.
    DNE is a great shop and does outstanding work, But is' just wrong to quote one price and then charge another. I was at DNE's shop many time thought out the build and he asked for money (which I payed) though out the build up to the quotes price. DNE delivered the motor and then two months later says you now owe double.... I just dont get it...
    Mark

wrightnow
    Hey Mark, just a question. Did DNE give you a written quote before preceading on your rebuild? And is this the motor you ran last year at Big River?
    DNE wrote out a quote, or should I say he scratch out on a yellow pad what it would cost and no I did not get a copy. DNE has done this before to other board members (quote one price and charge another) and I spoke to DNE about this and he said as long as we don't change direction on the build we will be ok on the quotes...So much for that statment...
    I know it may come down to my word against his word, but this has happend to other DNE customers and I plan to bring them into courte if needed to show this is a common practice with DNE.
    Yes this is the motor I ran last summer at Big River....
    Mark

Fogged Gullwing
    That is unfortunate. Dave is a good guy in my opinion.
    But it all comes back to my credo " If you can't work on it yourself you should not own it " And if you can't work on it you better be able to pay someone to do it for you! I don't know the circumstances so I can't tell you anything that relates to your situation. But after doing this shit for twenty five years educate yourself and do it yourself. Your still going to need to get a quality machinist and that is a challenge by itself. Finding someone who did not sweep the floor in the shop before he became the head machinist is a tough deal. I've been through a lot of them!!! Finally I found a guy who actually went to school to learn how to machine automotive stuff and have been with him ever since. You will have to spend a good amount of money in tools and learn the proper way to assemble an engine but once you have done it it's not rocket science. I learned from Kenny Duttweiler when I was young so I had a great teacher. If you ever get a chance to learn from someone like that I suggest you take it. But like anything else just do some reading!!! and talk to people information is key!! You can call the manufacturers get there advice and so on. Hope everything works out for you.
    BK

wrightnow
    mark return the motor.and i'll set you up with the guy who did the motor for the flat i drive. :2purples: He takes time but the price is good and he is learning boat motors real fast.(mine was the first motor he did for a boat he mainly does 1/4 mile drag cars(has done a ton of street racer motors when real cars use to race) and is very good.
    I think the legal action against you is a low blow esp if the price was agreeda upon i can see a few hundred bucks for price increases but double!!
    I wish it was as easy as here is your motor give me my money back... but i supplied most of the parts (this was a rebuild)
    I have tried to work this out without going to courte by paying DNE over 90% of his bill and he has refused it and wants more.....
    Mark

Jordy
    Did you at least get a big stack of the horsepower adding stickers?

wrightnow
    That is unfortunate. Dave is a good guy in my opinion.
    But it all comes back to my credo " If you can't work on it yourself you should not own it " And if you can't work on it you better be able to pay someone to do it for you! I don't know the circumstances so I can't tell you anything that relates to your situation. But after doing this shit for twenty five years educate yourself and do it yourself. Your still going to need to get a quality machinist and that is a challenge by itself. Finding someone who did not sweep the floor in the shop before he became the head machinist is a tough deal. I've been through a lot of them!!! Finally I found a guy who actually went to school to learn how to machine automotive stuff and have been with him ever since. You will have to spend a good amount of money in tools and learn the proper way to assemble an engine but once you have done it it's not rocket science. I learned from Kenny Duttweiler when I was young so I had a great teacher. If you ever get a chance to learn from someone like that I suggest you take it. But like anything else just do some reading!!! and talk to people information is key!! You can call the manufacturers get there advice and so on. Hope everything works out for you.
    BK
    UP until this I thought DNE was a good guy also. I had been dealing with DNE for a couple of years on some minor repairs and thought I would give hime a try. He does do outstanding work...
    My problem with DNE is I went with DNE because of what he said he would do the work for and what I would get and now he wants double the price because why????????
    Mark

wrightnow
    Did you at least get a big stack of the horsepower adding stickers?
    No those cost extra..........

TIMINATOR
    Boat motor from a car guy who is "learning fast", asking tech questions from someone whom you did not pay, assembling your motor yourself with little experience, not getting a firm estimate and initialling any changes, ALL RECIPIES FOR DISASTER!!!!!!!!! As a side note:ALL ENGINE BUILDERS HAVE SECRETS!! Do not think for one minute that any of them will GIVE you any. At least not the latest or best. YOU GOTTA PAY TO SEE THE GOOD STUFF!!!! Back to the issue at hand, good luck. If you have a signed work order with a specified price with no changes, you should win, but at what cost? Thats the game many places play. See the thread:"you don't allways get what you pay for". I believe its under the "Cats and Tunnels" section. Keep in mind: if he's 9 months behind in his work, he probably doesn't care if you post your experiences and he loses a potential customer or two. It may not be what you want to hear but its the truth. Again, good luck. TIMINATOR

PC Rat
    I'm just curious where the additional cost is? Higher priced parts, extra parts, extra labor - I'm assuming that he gave you an itemized bill and you know what parts you needed and I would assume that you have a good idea what parts cost from other sources. Where did the extra $8000 come from?
    Brian

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast