Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trailer welding

19Kona
    I have been lurking on this board for a while now, and now I need help. I need to modify my trailer to be able to carry my wifes waverunner. The boat and trailer are probably worth $2k, so paying more than a couple hundred is not an opption. Anyone with a torch in the southern California area is welcome to my couple hundred, or if you guys could recmnd someone. Thank you in advance.

gstark
    19Kona:
    If you want to add on a rack for a wave runner, I hope you have a tandem axle trailer. A single axle will have a max load rating of 3750 lbs, and its typical 14" tires/rims are rated at 1400-1750 lbs each, for a total rated load of 2800-3500 lb.
    My old Glencoe 18' 455/12JC with a heavily modified 4" channel trailer weighed in at 3100 lbs on a certified scale. Add gear, fuel, coolers and I was at max load limit, easily.
    Adding a rack with a davit/winch will probably add around 300-500 lbs of weight to the trailer, plus the weight of the waverunner. So, you can easily add 1000lb to the total rig weight.
    Also hope you have surge brakes.
    I recently checked with Kustom Trailers in Norco/Corona about adding a rack to a Sea Ray 18' trailer for a friend. Dan (owner) does a first class job with power winches, etc. For a double rack with a ladder, winch, batteries, etc. I believe the cost was around $4K. So, unless you are handy with a MIG or stick welder, this won't come cheap.

19Kona
    yes, it is a double axel trailer, and it has breaks. I was thincking of putting the waverunner out in front of the boat, perpendicular to the boat. I have an H rack that used to haul my stand-up ski behind my explorer (like people use for dirt bikes). The rack fit into the class 3 hitch. If I could set a class 3 on the trailer in front of the boat, it may work.

TaylorLP20
    Or you could just flat tow it behind the trailer with a chain!

RH
    I saw this guys set-up at clearlake a couple years ago one jet ski on each side seemed liked it worked well simple to build . http://www.spectramarine.com/ownersboats/11.jpg

SPECTRABRENT
    I would keep an eye on the boattrader or recycler for a used trailer. If you go to Ellis (like the blue Spectra with the jet skis) I am sure you will break the bank) Ellis does great work, but it does not come cheap. FYI Ellis phone # is 818-361-4011.
    I have a friend, Matt Snyder, he owns a trailer shop, Bear Trailer Sport his phone # is 818-727-1585.
    Good Luck,
    Brent

squirt
    19Kona, I would think putting the jet ski that far foward would really do a number on your tounge weight. Here is a pic of my set-up & yes you can do it yourself if you have the equip. http://www.rivertoys.com/images/RUDOLF1.JPG
    [This message has been edited by squirt (edited February 01, 2002).]

challengerjet
    hey kona, i've got a buddy who has the rack sitting in my parking lot at work, he never finished it and it's almost done just needs a couple hours work and to be welded to the trailer. let me know if you're interested he'd sell it cheap and i'd like to have it gone.
    cjet

RiverToysJas
    I agree with Squirt, putting it in front of the boat will be way too much weight on the tongue! You'll run a risk of breaking your tongue or truck. Your truck should have tongue weight rating, better look into it. Ideaally it needs to be centered over the axles.
    RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    BTW: That Spectra looks AWESOME, I want a boat just like that!!!
    [This message has been edited by RiverToysJas (edited February 01, 2002).]

19Kona
    challengerjet,
    First I used to have a 18.5challenger, is this what you have? I really loved mine. Now a buddy of mine has it.
    2nd, what are the dimensions and specifics of the rack. You can email me One_enginerd@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast