Thread: Merc I/O to a jet drive....

al cole'holic
    ..motor swap?? Kicking around the idea and looking for some info if this is an easy swap or what. Would it be a pretty easy thing to do or would a bunch of extra's need to be bought?

SB
    Well you might want to move this to the jet section. I wouldn't do it because there are plenty of jet hulls out there.

BADBLOWN572
    Pain in the ass to do. Problem #1: The transom on an IO is 2" thick where a jet is only 1" This causes a problem because it won't let the jet get set back far enough. Problem #2: A jet boat has the engine about 1-2' farther foreward than an IO. This would cause you to remove all of your interior, cut the floor, and rebuild interior. Problem #3: Cables are completely different & so is shifter. Problem #4: cutout for IO sticks up about 4-6" higher than the cutout for the jet. Problem #5: Motor will not easily couple to jet from IO.
    Basically, when a manufacturer makes a mistake and cuts one the incorrect way (it does happen, TRUST ME) they don't attempt to repair the boat. They throw a new one in the mold for the customer and keep the other one as stock less power.

al cole'holic
    Pain in the ass to do. Problem #1: The transom on an IO is 2" thick where a jet is only 1" This causes a problem because it won't let the jet get set back far enough. Problem #2: A jet boat has the engine about 1-2' farther foreward than an IO. This would cause you to remove all of your interior, cut the floor, and rebuild interior. Problem #3: Cables are completely different & so is shifter. Problem #4: cutout for IO sticks up about 4-6" higher than the cutout for the jet. Problem #5: Motor will not easily couple to jet from IO.
    Basically, when a manufacturer makes a mistake and cuts one the incorrect way (it does happen, TRUST ME) they don't attempt to repair the boat. They throw a new one in the mold for the customer and keep the other one as stock less power.
    ...actually, not converting drive types..just want to take a motor out of an I/O boat and put it into a jet boat. Complete Merc motor..

BADBLOWN572
    oops. Read it wrong. It isnt too hard. You will have to get a pressure regulator for exhaust, remove the raw water pump, get a new bell housing, and make whatever adjustments are needed for motormounts, etc... Not too bad. Just make sure that you don't simply drop it in without a pressure regulator. If you do, you will hydraulic the motor because the jet will push in too much water. Wiring might be a trick as well as if you are going from carbed to fuel injection. If it is Fuel injection, a lot of the new motors have returns to the tanks so you would have to run new lines. Some jet motor companies are using standard GM wiring harness which is what Merc uses. Some do not. If they don't you can always cut it apart and put it on a distribution block. Not a walk in the park, but not too bad.