Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Cheyenne

Duane HTP
    Damn, I knew somebody would be watching if I put that picture on here.
    Give me a call, Jak. 316-794-8616

PC Rat
    Anybody know who picked up this Cheyenne off of ebay?
    Brian

sdba069
    I Don't Think The Cheyenne Sold. I Emailed For Info A Couple Of Times With No Response. Hey Duane, I Bought A Couple Of The First Boats That Johnson Built And A Couple More Since Then. Most People Don't Believe It, But The Yellow Cheyenne I Used To Run Was A Jbe Boat. When Tom Papp And I Worked Together On The First Mirage Jets, He Told Me His Story Or Version Of How The Jbe Cheyenne Came About. 3 Good Ole West Texas Boys Got Together With Jimmy Johnson At Jbe And Decided To Have Papp Come Out And Put A Keel In A Cheyenne That They Had Out In The Lubbock Area, Which By The Way Is Still Around Out There. The Plan Was To Have Tom Do The Bottom And Then Take It To Johnson To Be Used For A Plug. Little Did They Know That Papp Found Out About It And Purposelly Put A Screwed Up Bottom In The Boat. And The Rest Is History. The First Boat That I Got From Jbe Was So Screwed Up On The Bottom That It Took Almost A Month To Straighten It Out. It Did Haul A$$ When We Got Done On It. The Gelcoat Went Bad After A Couple Of Years. The Second One I Got, Before I Ever Put It In The Water, I Found Structural Cracks In The Corners Of The Transom . We Repaired That, As I Didn't Want To Take It Back To The Builder, Then The First Time We Put It In The Water, The Left Sponson Delaminated And Almost Came Apart....... Now About The Keel...... Every Boat Is Different, But Ours Usually End Up Between 1.0625" And 1.125" Depth. Everyone Has Their Own Ideas About The Flat Or The Football, But I Like The Football. Total Length Of The Drop Keel Usually Runs Between 38" And 48". Without Giving Out Too Much Info, The Entry Lengths Vary According To The Boat And Horsepower. Also, I've Seen Some Keels At About 1.250" Depth. You Know How Many Years It Took Me To Figure All This Out, And I Just Blurted It Out All Over The Internet, Oh Well.

jdf
    cause yo have been there what about the boat that was wrecked in okla. it was a chenn. right come on i can tell some info too..cause i had to answer the phone somtimes ...hahahahhaha

Duane HTP
    I know the whole story too. That work was actually done in Jimmy Dominick's shop on 50th street. Jimmy went on to build some of the boats. But he caught what was going on and he put his keel on after the boats were built. Jimmy Johnson did not figure it out, and put his intakes in the bottom of the dropped keel. The good Cheyenne's sold for about $6000.00 in those days. The JBE or JBX sold for $3500.00. They did not have the tri-axiel lay up in the bottoms either. They were a true SPLASH!

sdba069
    Hey Duane..... My yellew boat actually did have the vinylester resin and triaxiel matt. I had to ask for it and damn near stand over the top of them to see that it got done. He told me the boat would weigh between 400# and 425#. It weighed almost 600#. It wasn't just the center pod that was screwed up on it, but the sponsons also. I did that boat right before I moved to Texas in 89. It did come out nice and ran well. Single carb 522 BBC, no NOS, 9.20 @ 115. I'll try to add a picyure of it when I can get one scanned. It ran about as clean as any Cheyenne, of any make, that I've ever seen.

UBFJ #454
    Heck, we've got a 550+ lb. Cheyenne (w/Cheyenne HIN #'s) here in "The Valley Of The Sun" that 'Cleared The Traps' at Red Bluff two years ago with a 7.54 @ 140 mph (Charlie F liked to have had a Heart Attack ... 7.70 Rule and All) ... "Granpa", the motor was only a 500 CI'er ... Wish the Owner/Driver would come off the lake with her and come over to Ming and run BGJ.

sdba069
    Mine wasn't blown

sdba069
    Hey JDF....... That wasn't the Cheyenne that crashed, it was the true Youngblood TX-19, the black and silver metalflake boat.

bruleracer
    I Don't Think The Cheyenne Sold. I Emailed For Info A Couple Of Times With No Response. Hey Duane, I Bought A Couple Of The First Boats That Johnson Built And A Couple More Since Then. Most People Don't Believe It, But The Yellow Cheyenne I Used To Run Was A Jbe Boat. When Tom Papp And I Worked Together On The First Mirage Jets, He Told Me His Story Or Version Of How The Jbe Cheyenne Came About. 3 Good Ole West Texas Boys Got Together With Jimmy Johnson At Jbe And Decided To Have Papp Come Out And Put A Keel In A Cheyenne That They Had Out In The Lubbock Area, Which By The Way Is Still Around Out There. The Plan Was To Have Tom Do The Bottom And Then Take It To Johnson To Be Used For A Plug. Little Did They Know That Papp Found Out About It And Purposelly Put A Screwed Up Bottom In The Boat. And The Rest Is History. The First Boat That I Got From Jbe Was So Screwed Up On The Bottom That It Took Almost A Month To Straighten It Out. It Did Haul A$$ When We Got Done On It. The Gelcoat Went Bad After A Couple Of Years. The Second One I Got, Before I Ever Put It In The Water, I Found Structural Cracks In The Corners Of The Transom . We Repaired That, As I Didn't Want To Take It Back To The Builder, Then The First Time We Put It In The Water, The Left Sponson Delaminated And Almost Came Apart....... Now About The Keel...... Every Boat Is Different, But Ours Usually End Up Between 1.0625" And 1.125" Depth. Everyone Has Their Own Ideas About The Flat Or The Football, But I Like The Football. Total Length Of The Drop Keel Usually Runs Between 38" And 48". Without Giving Out Too Much Info, The Entry Lengths Vary According To The Boat And Horsepower. Also, I've Seen Some Keels At About 1.250" Depth. You Know How Many Years It Took Me To Figure All This Out, And I Just Blurted It Out All Over The Internet, Oh Well.
    hey snowman,
    what about the one ya cant really measure, remember,
    brule sayin hey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast