Thread: Hour Meter Question

Red Eye
    When I have my key turned for accesories my hour meter still is increasing. Does anyone else's have this problem? I would think it would only log hours if the engine is running. I plan on selling my boat next year and stepping up, but this has to be a major disadvantage for me.

HCS
    Pretty common. My buddy left his key on until his battery went dead. :notam: He put about 300hrs on his boat.

cola
    If it's a newer Merc the computer will tell you the run hours. Need the scan tool.
    Late, Mike

1stepcloser
    The hour meter should be connected to the "IGN" side of the switch. That way the meter is only running when the motor is. (Assuming that the motor is running when the ignition is on)

Jordy
    The correct way to do it is to hook it up to a pressure switch that runs on oil pressure. That way it only runs when the engine is. That's how we always setup equipment.

Froggystyle
    The correct way to do it is to hook it up to a pressure switch that runs on oil pressure. That way it only runs when the engine is. That's how we always setup equipment.
    This is what we are doing.
    Funny, most rental equipment has two hour meters, one for the time that anything is energized that you charge by, and another one more hidden that is actual run time for service concerns.

Jordy
    This is what we are doing.
    Funny, most rental equipment has two hour meters, one for the time that anything is energized that you charge by, and another one more hidden that is actual run time for service concerns.
    We always had two, one hidden and compared them both. You'd be surprised how many people would unhook the first one and run the wheels off of the equipment, claiming down days and the like, and then hook it back up before we picked it up. Kind of funny that the second hour meter would show that they ran it 8-10 hours every day it was out, not the 2 days they claimed they could use it. Criminals, I tell ya.

4-B
    We always had two, one hidden and compared them both. You'd be surprised how many people would unhook the first one and run the wheels off of the equipment, claiming down days and the like, and then hook it back up before we picked it up. Kind of funny that the second hour meter would show that they ran it 8-10 hours every day it was out, not the 2 days they claimed they could use it. Criminals, I tell ya.
    You always have to be one step ahead of them. :rollside:

Mandelon
    How much is a new hour meter...... :devil:

lucky
    the only hour meter that matters is the MPH